Wednesday, October 10, 2007

So you're losing the fight...

I’m not sure what exactly made me think of this, but I’ll be 40 years old next month, and I’ve never in my life been in a fight, a physical altercation. I’ve had my fair share of arguments, verbal fights, but never anything physical.

I can remember one time, I was probably about 11 or so, and I was at the Fish & Game (there was small lake there with a small beach, and you could go there to swim). I was by the concession stand, and this kid, and I have no idea who he was now, but I knew him then. He came up to me and told me that he decided he was gonna beat me up. Just punch me until I fell down and then he’d kick me.

Even though I was big for age, both in height and weight, all through my childhood, I’m basically a coward at heart, and I didn’t want to fight. I didn’t even really know HOW to fight. So what I said to him was, "You could fight me, but you know you’re gonna beat me. It’s not even a challenge, I’m not even worth your time. But you see that kid over there? He’s tough, that might be worth your time."

The kid I had indicated was Mark Powell, who was in my grade. He was a redhead (which even at that age made me notice him) but he was scrappy, a tough guy, and an athlete (Little League) and since I was neither scrappy nor and athlete, he and I really never talked about much of anything.

So, anyway, the bully marched right over to Mark. And there was a fight. Not then, at the Fish & Game, but later, in the city park. I heard Mark had kicked his ass by the tennis courts. And I could only think, it serves him right.

See, I’m a coward, and I’ve never been in a fight, BUT I do have a brain and I know how to use to keep me from being in a fight. I just think that if I were attacked now, and could not talk my way out of it, I’d probably just drop to a fetal position and scream my fool head off. Which isn’t really what I’d WANT to do…but knowing myself, it’s probably what I WOULD do.

Oh well…I am what I am….

POLT

Listening to "Invincible" by Muse

No comments: