Monday, October 22, 2007

Walks along the waves of velveteen...

My emotions come over my like waves onto a shore...and they last as long. Sadness: for what's happening to dad; Anger: at dad for smoking for 50 years; Guilt: for feeling the anger; Helplessness: because I can't do anything; Worry: for mom and the toll this must be taking on her; Nervous: over what happens with everything after dad dies; Fear: that I could end up like him, but without a wife and son to help me; Self-Loathing: for worrying about my future when dad has none; Cheerful: cause how else can I be around dad and mom.

I sat with dad for about four hours today while mom took care of her retirement papers. He had to pee while I was there. he can't get out of bed, so I had to pull the front of his pants down and hold the palstic urinal onto him while he went. I swear, there is not reason in this world that a 40 year old man should see his father's penis. It was uncomforatable and awkward for both of us. I was embarrassed for myself and for him. He told mom later he hated having to do that, he almost couldn't go. It did take him a while to start. I don't think there's anything worse than seeing a parent, a person who's always been strong and self-sufficent, reduced to needing cared for like an infant. Well, a child dying, I think that might be worse, but I can think of little else.

Mom told me that he's discussed his funeral with her, what he wants buried with, and in, and that he wants no viewing, and few things he wants given to nieces and nephews. So at least, he's come to terms with everything. I think he knows too it won't be long. he barely eats, he has no appetite. he drinks, but not much. I think mom's doing well, I'm quite surprised in that I'm doing rather well myself. I mean, yeah, there's a bunch of conflicting emotions going on inside me, but I don't think I'm going to break down or anything, at least not until he's actually in the ground. I've got to be there for mom, and the family and friends and such, to get through this time. Once that's done, then...then I can safely have any breakdown I need.

I don't know how mom does it. I was over there today, and two groups of people came to visit, one as the first was leaving. And both times, she sat in the room with dad and them, chatting with them like there was nothing wrong, like her husband wasn't laying on a hosptial bed in front of her being eaten alive internally. Like they had just stopped by to chat. I was in another room reading, because I only know these people second hand. But I was pissed off. he's in pain, and he's tired, and you know she's got to be worn out. And yet, you're going sit there and chat about another relative that's not there, or about how your respective gardens are doing, or this or that. But then, I realized, I shouldn't be angry. These people are coming to visit dad, to show they love and care about him. And mom's just being a good hostess. I don't think i could do it...she's always been stronger than me.

I know he wont be here for Christmas, I doubt he'll be here for Thanksgiving, I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't even here for Halloween. I just want it to be over. But then, I guess that's selfish of me...which brings on the guilt, etc, etc, etc. Waves on a shore...

POLT

Listening to "Groove Is In The Heart" by Dee-Lite

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't think that you are being selfish thinking about yourself handling your dad's passing, it is normal and millions have the exact same feelings as you do every month.

You want your dad to be out of his misery, that is normal. So is the anger you feel towards people who drop in to visit. Heck it is even normal to feel anger at your dad for smoking.

Just remember that you are not alone, we all have to go through the dying process at sometime in our lives, maybe sooner or later but we all do it.

I can tell from the post that your dad is doing alright with his own passing. The biggest thing is that he knows he is loved and will never be forgotten.

Peace be with you,
Mark

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'd give you a hug if I could. Just tell him how you feel about him while you can. I never got that chance. Everything else you're feeling, thinking and experiencing is completely normal. Don't bring yourself down about it.

Bunny said...

It's not selfish to want it to be over. You want that for him, as well as for your mom and yourself. Just keep doing what you are doing - letting him and your mom know that they are loved and helping where you can.

Hugs, sweetie. I wish I could make it better for all of you.

Lapis Ruber said...

I really feel for you and admire the honesty with which you describe your conflicting emotions - all of which are entirely understandable. I hope his passing is as peaceful and pain free as possible - for his sake and yours.

Rick Rockhill said...

hey there...new reader to your blog. I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your Dad, that is really tough. Be strong for your Mom.

as a side note, I really like your blog.

Unknown said...

Always remember...my door is always open for you whether at the house or at my office.

Michelle said...

It's not selfish to just want it over. But I've been where you are and the feelings of guilt for wanting it over are horrible. But its really not selfish. You want the pain and suffering to come to an end. It's so hard. I am so sorry for what you are going through! :(

{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}

BirdMadGirl said...

I'm sorry for the pain you and your family are going through. You have my endless hugs and kisses in this difficult time...

lime said...

dear polt, i think all the feelings you have are quite normal and to be expected. give yourself permission to feel them, even though you aren't having breakdowns.

as for the visitors, it is possible that mom finds it a helpful distraction.

hugs to you again.