Sunday, October 14, 2007

I've been running round in circles in my mind...

Okay, so last week Al Gore won a Nobel Peace Prize. Great, I'm happy for him, I truly am. But ever since then, on some blogs that I read, I've been seeing posts about "how Al should run for President/Draft Gore/etcetc". And I wonder, why?

He wasn't running before last week. Why should he suddenly decide to just because he won it? And what about him winning it suddenly makes him any better of a candidate for president than he was before.

Mind you, I have NEVER been a fan of Al Gore, not since his first run in 1988. But I do wish the Supreme Court had allowed him to win the presidency in 2000 instead of giving it to Bushie. And earlier this year, I was hoping that he would run again. But instead he sat out, and worked on environmental things. And that's fine, it's very admirable, I'm glad SOMEONE'S doing it. But I still dont understand why that suddenly makes him a better candidate than anyone else running.

And frankly, next year, for the first time in the 20 years I've been voting for president, there is actually a good varied field of Democrats for me to choose from. And even if Gore DID decide to run now, it's too late. he needed to start back over the summer or before.

There's only one scenario that I can think of where Gore would run. If the Democrats pick a candidate this spring, and then, before the election, something happens that that candidate can't run, something like they dying in a plane crash. Then I could see Gore coming along and, after numerous Democrats asked him to run, he's step and take over. but how likely is that?

Gore had his bite at the apple 8 years ago, and he blew it. Had he run a better campaign, it woulnd't have matter what happened in Florida, the Supreme Court would have had no say in the outcome, and the man who actually got the most votes, would have been president. but he didn't run a good campaign, and we're in the situation we are. And so is gore himself.

We need to concentrate on the Democrats running, figure out the best one and get him, or her, into the White House so they can clean up the mess that's been created over the last 7 years. Wasting time speculating about a person who has never said he wants to run is counterporductive.

POLT

Listening, STILL, to the Saints-Seahawks game.

2 comments:

Bunny said...

Preach it, brother! Amen!

I don't think Gore wants to go through that again either. At least I hope not. And I'm POSITIVE he won't consider being Hillary's running mate. Positive.

Anonymous said...

What did you mean about next year having a varied field of Democrats to vote from? There will be only 1 democrat in the election: Hilary Cackle (...oops, I mean Mrs William), Obama Osama Yomama, Mr Lame-wife, and that's about it.

Gore has no interest. He's said so. He already won and didn't have to do any of the work.

The more I hear the less I am enamored with the process.
I'm beginning to understand more and more why people don't vote. It actually is really more important to stay at home and not miss your favorite TV shows.

Fairy Godfather.