Sunday, October 21, 2007

Took me into the city, to see a marching band...

Yesterday, what a busy day. I got to work on time, much to my surprise. Had a full day there. on the way home, roughly 4:30, I got a call from A Local Celebrity, Mr. David Parispeking.

ALCMDPP was calling to see if wanted to go see a band competition that night.

Some explanation is obviously in order. ALCMDPP is a teacher, a music teacher, and he's been the coach (advisor? instructor? whatver.) for the marching band at the high school he taught at. So he's all about the marching bands and stuff (yes, yes I KNOW it's hard to believe, but ALCMDPP is inDEED a band geek. hehehehehehhe....)

He told me previously that the Shepard University Marching band was doing songs from the musical RENT (which I love more than Mama Polt's homemade apple pie) for thier halftime presentation. And we've been trying to find a date and time when he could take me see them.

Well, as I said, there was this competition going on, and at the end of it, the Shepard University marching band was going to perform. And ALCMDPP assured me that this would be better than at a game, cause then there might be time restrictions, but here, they could do the whole program.

A school marching band competition, huh? okay, well I was not any kind of band geek in school (I tried to be a drama geek...just ended up working backstage though, no acting. but I digress...), and really marching bands I don't mind seeing in a parade, but other than that, eh, they're not my thing.

Then he said something else, which i didn't quite get all of, beause of static, but I did manage to hear "high school gay choral boys". Really, what more did I need to hear, right? I was in.

So I dropped the groceries off at home, changed my clothes, stopped by my parents house to see them (dad's not doing so well, but that's the subject of another post), and then off the his house. I got to talk to his lovely missus, and well as the two kids, Little Miss David Parispeking One and Little Miss David Parispeking Two. And then we were off.

On the drive there (I think roughly a 30-45 minutes drive) we discusses and debated the issues of the day. As you do. And then we stopped at Roy Roger's to get something to eat (I didn't know any of those were still in existance). And then we continued on to the Brunswick High School.

Since county educators got in free, ALCMDPP had his teacher's ID with him. The plan was for him to show his and then for me to realize I didn't have mine, and have him vouch for me as another teacher and have us both get in free. Worked like a charm. Like he said, it's easy to decieve band parents (HE said it, not me).

We watched a few schools perform. I was somewhat entertained, but it really wasn't my scene. I had more interest in checking out the spectators, even if they were underage. Underage gay boys are like ovens: hot, they make you sweat, and looking is okay but under no circumstances can you touch them! Or something like that....

Anyway, even though we had only eaten about an hour before and he had eaten three cookies once that he bought there, ALCMDPP was whining about being hungry and wanting some 'band food'. So finally, after I had had enough, we went to the food area. he offered to buy me something to eat too, and who am I to ever turn down food. he got a hot dog, i got a burger. It wasn't all that bad.

Then we went looking for the marching band director of that school. ALCMDPP called him on the cellphone and found out he was in the band room practicing. So off we went, into the school to find him. We found the cafeteria, the gym, the office, the library, and even ALCMDPP's old school band practicing, but no band room. Until we went the director that I had suggested and then we found it. The guy's name was John. He was young-ish, thin, red-headed, goateed, and hot as all get out! But while they talked "shop", I went to the bathroom.

We left and returned to the bleachers to watch the remainder. We even got to watch ALCMDPP's old band perform. And then, after all the high school's were done, the Shepard university band took the field.

Oh. My. God. They were outSTANDing!!!! I knew all the songs they played (they're from Rent, d'uh!). I clapped several times, I laughed several times, I cheered, and shouted and hummed along. And as soon as they hit the last note, the whole stadium erupted into applause! I jumped to my feet cheering, screaming, clapping! it was incredible! they had the whole stadium rocking! It blew my socks off, just as ALCMDPP promised me it would.

then came the presentation of the trophies. ALCMDPP and I made our way to the opposite bleachers to hang with the kids in his old band. I got to watch one band group, named the Eagles, do a cheer on the bleachers screaming about, at one point, shaking thier tailfeathers. And they did. And then we sat in the bleachers in the midst of the other band. Yes, Uncle Polt managed to see up close a number of hot young men shaking thier asses in this general direction and then sit surrounded by other hot young men, sweaty, cheering, all wound up...and yet my head did not explode. I was rather proud of myself.

We left a bit early to beat the traffic. And even though it was after 10, we decided to go to Fridays for beers and some snacks. And so we did (after one of my patented "Uncle Polt Shortcuts". Ask Ghostie about those, he's got several stories). After comsuming the food, we left and came back to out respective homes, a fun and enjoyable night had by both of us.

Naturally, i have some photos from the evening!

This is the B that got written on the back of my hand by the band parent that we scammed to get in for free.

This is the back of ALCMDPP, lost inside the school.

















This is me in the bathroom...a boys bathroom...a high school boys bathroom....thank God it's NOT while school's in...bad things could happen.
Okay, this is really fuzzy, but it's taking place like on the other side of the field. It's of these three guys during a performance. The middle guy, in red, was Asian. he came out in leather, looking kinda S&M-ey, cause their whole performance was about the Roman empire. And later, they had sword fights, and the one guy in white got to die twice. It was cool. And the Asian guy was cute.
This is a cute percussionist for one of the bands.
This is ALCMDPP's old band performing. they did well, but didn't get first place.
This is the Shepard University band doing Rent.
Two hot Shepard University band guys.
The eats we had at Friday's after all the festivities.

















POLT

Listening to the Steelers-Broncos game on tv

2 comments:

Truthspew said...

Looks like it was a lot of fun. I went to the Red Bull Soap Box race and only watched a few cars go down the hill. We'd been on our feet for a very long time.

Anyhow, remember that in many jurisdictions 16 is the age of consent for both gay and straight. I know that's the case in Rhode Island, not that I would necessarily take advantage of that.

Anonymous said...

Fun evening. I always love to be around young people they are so free about having a good time. Takes me back to my school days. (which I would do all over again given the chance.

Onanite