Wednesday, September 07, 2005

I'm free to decide, I'm free to decide...

This from the Associated Press:

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Gay rights supporters cheered loudly from the gallery as California lawmakers became the first in the country to approve a bill allowing same-sex marriages. But their celebration may be short-lived.
The legislation could be vetoed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, who has expressed an acceptance of gay marriages but said it’s an issue that should be decided by voters or the courts.


But wait, aren't the Republicans saying something like this should NOT be decided by the courts? Aren't the Congressional Republicans whining that the legislature NOT the courts should be deciding the issue gay marriage? Perhaps, in their opinion, the legislature SHOULD decide the issue...unless, of course, the legislature approves gay marriage, then, and ONLY then, should it be decided in the courts?

How can you deny the courts should settle this issue when the legislature is with you, but allow the courts to settle the issue when the legislature is against you? Is this not hypocracy in it's truest form? BUt more importantly, why do I express any surprise? This IS the national Republican Party we're talking about, after all.

POLT

Hold still, baby! Daddy can't kill you if you keep jumping around! - TheJoker, Batman: Harley Quinn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I heard about that yesterday. Passed in both houses in California (fellahs: why bicameral legislatures at the state level?), but I'm hearing by the thinnest of margins, so no hope if Herr Ubergovernor drops the veto bomb. What do the polls in California say? Any idea?

I thought I'd swing by (no pun intended) since you were nice enough to pay me a visit too. I see you've added a link to my site (thank you kindly), and I'm characterized as "Toronto's Long Primate". Oh, if only... if only. :D