Monday, September 12, 2005

Take an educated guess on me...

It seems Uncle Polt greater overestimated the time involved in this training. The trip down is not INTO Baltimore, as I thought, but to a place before we'd reach Baltimore. The whole drive down was one hour. Nothing like I thought it would be. And it seems the instuctors wrapped it up this afternoon at about 3:20 pm, so that's when we got out. And tomorrow, we don't need to be there until 9:00, instead of 8:00, so that's means I wont have to get up until 6:30, unlike today, which was 5:30.

Oh, and there's a story too! (isn't there always?) the alarm went off at 5:20, as planned. I was going to get up shower, and eat breakfast at the house. But, no, I thought I'll go back to sleep for 15 minutes more and catch breakfast at McDonald's drive through. So I reset the alarm and went back to bed to lay down and slowly wake up for 15 minutes. Then i got up, showered, got my stuff together and was out the door at 5:58 am.

I got to McDonalds, drove by the windows to see there was no one inside at the counter, so if the drive through was too long, I'd just go inside. I got around to the ordering maching, or whatever it is, and there was no one there. SO I placed my order. Drove to the first window, paid the girl and got my change. Then I pulled up behind the SUV that was already at the window and I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited, some more. FINALLY, they handed everything out to the vehicle and off it went. I drove up to the window. She handed me my drink and I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

I mean, it's not like I asked for anything special! It was the Number 4 Combo meal: a sausage biscuit with egg, has brown and a Coke. And I already HAD 1/3 of it. I wasn't asking for soemthing without ketchup, or with extra onions, or some burgers done medium well or anything, I was just wanting a freaking SAUSAGE BISCUIT! Oh, I got to fuming. I mean, what the HELL could possibly take to LONG??? There was a cute guy working there running the registers I could see, about 20, 5'9 maybe, 140, thick black hair, vaguely Greek looking, tight waist, nice bubble ass. yes, that distracted me momentarily (....okay, longer then momentarily, but I digress...), but then I went back to fuming.

Finally, she picks up a bag and walks to window. But she says, "Oh, could you pull up and I'll bring it right out to you." I look at her dumbfounded for a second and then swearing under my breath, I pulled forward.

SO now I was sitting up there a bit, while the TWO vehicles behind me got their food and pulled around me and left. And time was ticking away. Finally, then she walked my food out, she put it in the window and thanked me. Not mention or apology made for made for the delay. ANd had I not already been late, I feel certain I would have said something.

I was at the damn drive through for 11 minutes. 11 MINUTES! Now that may not seem like a long time, but Christ when you're late for something, it's an eternity. And in 11 minues, God, I could have gone inside, ordered my food, ATE it all and probably been back on the road in 11 minutes! I figured I there was no way I was gonna get from the McDonalds in Waynesboro to my workplace in Hagerstown in 15 minutes. And there wasn't. But I made it in 17 minutes! That's a drive that normally takes 35 minutes in 17 minutes. Granted there wasn't a lot of traffic on the roads at that hour, but what helped more I think, was going roughly 90 MPH on I-81. That certainly made up time. And I got there just 2 minutes late. Which, for me, is actually somewhat early.

POLT = listening to "Jump Around" by House Of Pain

That is one fudged up little cracker. - Chef, South Park

No comments: