Saturday, November 18, 2006

Do you tell him you've been working...

Work has been a series of ups and downs lately, moreso than usual. Today, I had 15 new clients to do intakes on. Most Saturdays, I'll do 7-8. It was really hectic, and I couldn't devote as much to each one that I wanted to. On the upside, however, I got an hour's overtime, and Uncle Polt's got bills, so that's a good thing.

Also, Friday we had a retirement luncheon for one of our supervisors. Wednesday is his last day, after being there 24 years. I worked with him in a project revising policies about 7 years ago, and I volunteered to do all the typing of the revisions for our group, of which he was the leader. Since then, he's told me numerous times that I saved him, and helped him out a lot and stuff like that. SO even though I don't think I did all that much, and he and I never really worked together (we're on different shifts), I still kind of had a soft spot for him.

About 60 people attended the luncheon, including some people who used to work for him but no longer do. And somehow we managed to keep it all from him and make it a surprise. He cried when he first arrived and saw us all there. Not bawled or anything, but his eyes welled up and a few tears ran down his cheeks. And later, he was presented with his gift, he cried again. And then, when I had to leave and I went to him, he grabbed my hand to shake, and I told him what an pleasure it was to work with him and it won't be the same without him. He tried to say something, but choked up a bit, then said , "You really helped me out" and then tried to say something else,but got choked up again. So i told him it was my pleasure, and thanked him again, and all he could do was nod. Then I left to get back to work.

He's been a bit moody the last few years, but after being there for 24 years, I'm not surprised. But nonetheless, I'm glad to see him retiring. And I was glad to see we managed to surprise him. And I was glad that he appreciated it!

But....on the other end of the spectrum...

There's co-worker, Bob, that has cancer. They just discovered it two months ago. It was all through him, I forget exactly where. They were treating it aggresively with chemo. Obviously, he hasn't been to work. Well, earlier in the week, he was taken to the hospital with pneumonia. I hadn't seen him since the diagnosis, and I thought I'd drop by the hosptial after work, just to let him know I was thinking about him.

When I got there, no one else was in his room, and he was sleeping. I honestly had to check to make sure I was in the right room, it didn't look like him at all. He's about 6'2, and I'd say he weighed perhaps 225 or so the whole time I knew him. he's in his late 50's, but he was always a strapping guy. In that hospital bed, it looked like there was an Auschwitz survivor. he was thin, drawn, his cheeks sunken, his head shaved. He just looked horrible.

Obvioulsy I didn't want to wake him, so I got paper and a pen from the nurses station and left him a note. At least that way he'd know I was in to see him. I don't know if it would mean anything to him, but it was greatly important to me that he knew I stopped by. I know that sounds selfish, but I didn't want him thinking i didn't care enough.

Well the next day at work, we got word that the cancer has been spreading despite the chemo and radiation. So they're discontinuing it, cause it's not doing any good. The goal now is to try ot amke him comfortable and get him home sometime early next week. Obviously, it's very near the end.

And I think back to late August when he was all excited about going on this cruise they later went on. God, that was so fast. It's so sad. I feel so bad for his family espeically, cause they're the one that have to deal with all this, before he dies as well as after. I don't know....it's just... well, sad seems so inadequate, but it's the best word I can come up with.

Yeah, well what a downer. On the bright side, I DID mention I got some overtime right? Oh and the cake for dessert at the luncheon was out of this world good!

POLT = listening to "Jump Around" by House Of Pain

I'm like Dick Tracy...with breasts...and good hair. - The Huntress, Birds Of Prey #69

1 comment:

Truthspew said...

You've had quite the emotional week. I've had times like that in the past. Who knows, might have them again, depending on how that MRI of my brain turns out.

Well, the ENT I got to can't figure out why my left ear is all screwed up (inner ear issues). So his first thought is tumor. My first thought is wisdom teeth that were rotting out of my head, infected beyond belief. Give me some strong antibiotics if you please.

Instead we've been fucking with diuretics (Menieres disease, which this is not!), corticosteroids, lorazepam, etc.

What it is about doctors. I seem to catch all the wingnuts. And people wonder why I don't trust M.D.'s in general. Hello!