Wednesday, November 29, 2006

fucked...

...and not in a good way.

Spoke to The Stranger today who told me the only way to get my pics off the old computer was to either 1) clean it up, which he esitmates would take a minimum one day's work..IF he can find the stuff online he needs, or 2) slave it to another computer and get them that way. but we don't want to do that cause the computer's still infected. And I don't want to infect any other computers.

So, he's got several computers, one of which is kinda old, and he's looking to get a laptop or something to replace and if he does, we'll use that one to slave to my old computer and see if we can get them and then use anti-viral crap on the CD we burn them to. Whatever. It doesn't sound hopeful. I told him there's no rush, as the photos aren't going anywhere. He says we'll look at it sometime after the new year.

On an equally positive note, I tried to re-install my itunes on the new computer and I clicked the iPod in the port as required and yep, you guessed, it reconfigured it and wiped out EVERYTHING! I now have an empty iPod. lucky freakin me, eh? bastards. lsot 3000 and some songs.

The only good side is I only bought like 30 of them. the rest came from CD's that I still have. So now all I have to do is find the time to put all the music back on the itunes library and go re-buy those 30 songs. Bastards.

this whole experience has just sucked, from beginning to end. Course, I learned a valuable lesson.

BACK UP THE FUCKING FILES THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU!!!

Better late then never, eh?

POLT = soundless still

"On TV, that tie will bleed." "Keep it up and it'll have company." - Tobey Zeigler, the West Wing

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm assuming the old system has a CD burner on it. Go ahead and burn all your stuff to CD.

Then blow away the operating system, data, etc. on the old computer. Now re-install the operating system, then install a good AV program like AVG Free, and then copy the CD's back onto the computer, letting AVG scan each once its copied. The key is not connecting this to the net at all.

Once you're reasonably sure it's clean, then you can network it and file share the images and documents over to the new machine.

I would not slave to a live machine until I knew for sure whatever virus got in was eliminated.

I had tried to post a comment when you first told us about the old machine but freaking blogger changed UID's for my acct so I had to use my gmail login.

What I tried to say was that even MS engineers only solution to eliminating a virus on a machine is to wipe it and re-install.

Anonymous said...

Those nasty nasty germs and viruses.
And this is just the season for computers to get sick, too.

There is a reason that mama always said to wash your hands and to spray everything with Lysol.
That virus probably got in thru your keyboard one of those times when you didn't wash after you wiped.

I still have an old hard drive with some stuff (music and pictures) that I'd like to get off of it. Mine died from an electrical shock though. Nothing virus related (you know how anal retentive I am about cleaning things).
A friend of a friend thinks the circuit board was fried since the drive is not making any mechanical abnormal noises. He says it might be possible to replace the circuit board with an identical circuit board from the same brand of hard drive. I've been too busy to deal with it, but I really should try to locate a same-brand and model of hard drive before they stop making them.
Or I could just pay one of those companies about $1000 to retrieve the data for me. Just as soon as I win that lottery.

Happy holidays and don't forget to wash with anitbacerial soap.

Fairy Godfather