Sunday, June 17, 2007

Higher than all the birds in the sky (Part 6)...

Freddie's Bird Adventures!


Well, yesterday, Freddie went back to the bird sanctuary, and this time, he took his dad with him. Dad and a camera. We have pictures of Freddie at work! And so, without further ado....

(These are not in any particular kind of order)

This is Freddie, or course, with Audrey. Audrey is a nice bird, because as you can see, she's not latched onto his finger or anything. The nasty evil bird is Lulu. There are no pictures of Lulu (guess they didn't want to anger her and have her rip through the bars of the cage and attack the camera or cameraman).


These are two baby bald eagles who hatched right before Freddie started there. The names are, I believe, Eregon and Saphria. *SIGH*...who names these birds?


This is Freddie with the bales of hay for the ostrich, emus, and deer. Whereas the emus used to have a seperate cage within the larger enclosure that housed the ostrich and deer, NOW they are all housed together. When told of this, Freddie recieved the following advice: "You should probably feed them first, so they don't attack you." Attacked by a flock of emus....is there any worse fate?


This is Freddie bribing one of the macaws with a Wheat Thin. No it's not Lulu, no photos of her, remember?


This is a baby female parrot. I thought it was Lulu, cause it just seems to me, a red bird would have the name Lulu. I was mistaken. This brid's name is Buddy. A female bird named Buddy....is it any wonder these birds have attacked thier owners?


This is a Canadian goose they have there, and a gosling. I guessed a duck initially. I said, if it's a Canadian goose, it ought to be red. Red and white, like the Canadian flag. I wonder if the noise it makes is something like, "HONK....eh?" *snicker, snicker*


This called a conure. No, I don't really know anything more about it. It looks like a lovebird to me...what do I know from birds?


Ah yes, feeding time for the emus. Freddie's kinda hunched over in the middle of the photo. On the left, are the deer. And the ostrich is between the deer and Freddie. After feeding them, they wouldn't move, so he had to hit some of them with the wheelbarrow to get them out of the way. Oh, and Freddie said his dad came in the cage to take the photo while Freddie fed them and an emu tried to eat his sneaker. Not too smart a bird, those emus. Hungry, yeah, but smart...nah, not so much.


Feeding them again, breaking up the hay for them.


Freddie with the wheelbarrow. This carried bird feed and such.


Freddie spreading the hay around. He does this with his shoes, I know this because, not only is that what he's doing in the photos, but he said he had hay EVERYwhere, in his shoes, in his hair. I resisted the urge to ask if hay got everywhere sand does. I also resisted the urge to inquire about a 'roll in the hay'.


Freddie hefting the food into the wheelbarrow.


I LOVE this photo. it cracks me up. It's of Freddie standing there watching a goose sitting on crane eggs hissing at him. And I could not resist the urge to inquire here.
Polt: Why is the goose sitting on crane eggs?
Freddie: Becuase the crane mother is not very attentive.
Polt: ...if she lets a goose get on her eggs, that's pretty obvious.
Freddie: No, they took the goose eggs and gave the goose the crane eggs, since the mother crane wasn't paying any attention.
Polt: ....so, they took the unattentive crane's eggs, gave them to the hissing goose, and took the hissing goose's eggs and gave them to the unattentive crane?
Freddie: No. they just gave the eggs to the goose, they didn't give the goose eggs to the crane.
Polt: Sooooo, where are the goose eggs?
Freddie (a bit exasperated): I dont know. How would I know?
Hmmm, ask a silly question, I guess....

Here we see the deer and the ostrich, and somehow, no emus. Oh, and the ostrich's name is Zelda. Ya know, I'm thinking this place is like the Island Of Lost Toys. Only it's
name is The Sanctuary Of Stupidly Named Birds. Maybe the deer are named after the Seven Dwarfs, or the Twelve Disciples, or the fifty states, depending of course, on how many of them there are.


Freddie is feeding a cockatoo named Dakota, i think. the bird on top of the cage, which doesn't look altogether healthy, is a bird that was under so much stress it was plucking it's own feathers out. Freddie says it looks a lot better than before. It doesn't seem to have a name....that could contribute to it's stress dontcha think?


And lastly, this is Freddie spreading more hay fo rthe ducks, geese and swans.

I knew deer grazed for food, but honestly, I don't think I ever knew all these birds ate so much hay. I thought birds just ate...birdfood. From what I've heard, though, emus LIVE for the stuff! go figure. Crazy emus....

POLT

Avert your eyes, that's a parents' undergarment! - Ted, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

3 comments:

Truthspew said...

Is Freddie the hung studying to be an ornithologist?

Anyhow those two baby eagles, the first ones name has to do with fire, the second ones name has to do with dragons. Appropriate names if you ask me.

Polt said...

Actually, Freddie is a Zoo Science major.

Anonymous said...

Geese are good mothers and there are thousands of them. Crane's are poor mothers and there are few of them. Stay with me now. throw out the goose eggs (thousands of them) replace with Crane eggs. (rare) Now we have more beautiful Cranes.
I don't care what anybody says, Geese and ducks will not eat hay. They do make a mess everywhere as all outdoors is their "dumping" grounds. I suspect much of the hay is used to cover the mess and prevent stepping in it.
You'll have to visit Freddie at work and give him a roll in the Hay. I can see it now, the guide says here are the Emu's and over here what is that in the hay stack? Why, it is Homo Sapiens mating. Polt looks up with a grin and says, "you got the Homo part right my friend". LOL.