Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Odds and ends...

1) Yesterday, I had my eye exam. The doc said my right eye has gotten just a smidge worse, but my left eye has improved to compensate, so that my overall eyesight is still the same. No change in the prescription. And i got to order new glasses, cause my insurance covers it. The bad part, the doc said, "It looks like we're reaching the bifocals points."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! (although I don't believe I said this either as loudly or as emphatically as this representation may indicate)

Man, I don't want bifocals. Then there's no way I can delude myself I'm old. I dye my hair to cover the gray, I ignore the fact I'm going to be 40 this year, I don't do anything strenuous so I don't notice how much my body hurts when i do. But bifocals.....*SIGH*......

2) What a difference a day makes! Yesterday when I got off work, it was like 94, and I had to turn the A/C on as soon I got home, the humidity was nearly unbearable. I took a short walk last night, and it felt like I was in a sauna. Today, I get off work it's 83, a nice breeze is blowing, the humidity is not noticable. It's just glorious today!

3) Ag needed me to follow her today to the mechanic. She needed to drop her car off and wanted me to bring her back here. but because it was a glorious day (see #2), I had her drive my car back, and I walked! Took about a half hour walk. Listened to my iPod all the way, and had my camera with me. Took several photos. This is a weird little town I live in, I've got the photos to prove it. I'll get them organized and get them posted in a little bit.

4) Today I drove dad to the hospital to get his radiation treatment. It takes about a half hour to get to the hospital, the whole entire treatment takes like 10 minutes if that. While he back getting the treatment, this cute girl came out to talk to me. Her name was Melissa and I used to work with her at the drug store 15 or more years ago. We talked until dad was done. I had actually forgotten that she worked there, although once I saw her I knew her immediately. It was nice to see her and know she's doing well, she was sweet kid.

5) We stopped on the way home at Wendy's drive through to get a vanilla frosty each. Dad has trouble with his one arm, and he couldn't eat it with a spoon too well, and I couldnt eat it with a spoon if I was driving. SO i went back in and got us straws. BIG mistake. Those frosties are SO thick I couldn't eat with a straw. It took so much suction, I thought I was going to suck my fillings right out of my teeth. (and yes, I think I could do that. Envy Freddie now, for having a boyfriend who is that powerful of a sucker). When we'd stop at lights and signs, I'd scoop some out with the straw and eat it. But after a bit, it melted enough that I could suck it through the straw. Yummy.



POLT

They're throwing reporters in jail; swarthy gents are disappearing without a trace; oil tycoons are dictating our energy policy in closed door meetings with Dick Cheney; Congress deals with ethic complaints agianst its members by relaxing or eliminating its ethical standards; laws are passed to allow the FBI to listen in on our conversations and read our emails whenever it's in the mood; the adminstration gets a staggeringly expensive prescription plan by lying about what it will cost; three decades of environmental law is trashed; the federal deficit is enormous, but if we as individuals miss a credit card payment, our interest rate goes to 30 percent; money politics in the form of lobbying and campaing cash on Capitol Hill smashes all previous records; our economic policies allow CEO's to get millions of dollars in exchange for sending our jobs overseas; it turns out the 'mission' won't be accomplished for another 12 years - and you're worried about a lil old thing liek the government taking your house???? - Time Rowland, 2005

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have you know that I only eat Frostys with a straw ;-)

Anonymous said...

About the bi-focals. They have these lenses called "progressive" lenses (how progressive, eh?).

The progressive lenses don't have the lines in them. What they do is sort of blend from the reading part to the distance part. You have to bob your head slowly up and down (like a duck or an ostrich (Freddie should appreciate that)) to find the sweet spot for reading depending on how far away the reading material is. The top part of the lense is still for distance and the bottom part still for reading close up, but the middle will depend on how far away from whatever it is you're trying to read and that's where the adjustment comes in. At least you can still fake them out and not look like you're wearing glasses with lines in them. I've had these glasses for about 5 yrs now.

We'll still be trying to act 25 even when we turn 70 I guess (God I hope I don't live that long).

Fairy Godfather.