Sunday, December 02, 2007

You're not decorating a girl for a night on the town...

What a busy week I've had.

I needed a place to put up my Christmas tree. Plus, last year, in an after Christmas sale, I bought one of those small fiber-optic trees. And every year since they've started making them (1991), my parents have gotten me that year's Star Trek Hallmark Keepsake Ornament (yes, I AM that much of a geek, thanks for asking). My plan was to run a string of lights around the fiber-optic tree and hang the Star Trek ornaments from it.

Nonetheless, I needed to get my apartment, or at least the living room, uncluttered and moved around a bit to accomodate the two trees. This would NOT be an easy thing.

Last Sunday night, I asked Ag if she'd help me with this. She looked over the mess that was my living room, and said, "I'm off Wednesday. I'll help you move the furniture around if you get all this junk cleaned up." and then she laughed, cause she knew how unlikely it was. I laughed too for the same reason.

Monday, I did a bit of work. Tuesday I took off work and as illerated here managed to get a LOT of the uncluttering and cleaning done. Wednesday, after work, i called Ag. Before she came up, I did a bit more uncluttering. Then when she got here, the moving of the furniture and cleaning up around them commenced.

It was so bad, so dusty (and with me being allergic to dust), I had to wear a mask. And since this IS the Palace, naturally, I have photos to illustrate:


This is a box of stuff I found behind one chair. It had so much dust on it, it looked like a coat of fur.


This would be me sneezing...WITH the mask on...


Dead pant leaves and a Christmas candle without a bulb...more stuff found between furniture and a wall.


Yes even running the vacuum, i still needed a mask.


If you'll notice, on the lower part of my shirt is a horizontal grey streak. That would be a streak of dust I got from holding a box or something right there.


I needed to move the chair to clean around it, and space was limited, so I put it on top of the sofa. Necessity and mother of invention and all that.


However, after cleaning, moving furniture and cleaning some more, this was the result. I sorted out all the cords in the dormer later. And yes, the coffee table remains that bad even today...despite the repeated pleas of Ag for me to clean it off.

The first Saturday in December is the traditional time I put the Christmas tree up. This year, I did it alone...which was a tad depressing. When i was at home, mom and dad and i would always do it together. Since moving in there, Ag's done it with me several times, my friend AJ did it with me once, and last year, Freddie helped. But this year, just Uncle Polt himself.


Anyway, this is my tree, with it's queer rainbow theme (rainbow cloth to sit on, rainbow star, rainbow tinsel, and rainbow balls...white lights, though. I didn't want to go overboard).


This is the queer rainbow tree with the fiber optic tree behind...which kinda fits right in with the queer rainbow theme, as it's lights vary and shift among the rainbow colors.

After I got that all together and up, I saw that the idea of the Star Trek ornaments hanging on it wouldn't really work. SO instead, I took a string of lights, hung them up around the doorway between my dining room and kitchen, and hung the ship ornaments on it.


Yes, that's me. Trekkie supreme...thank you very much. Live long and prosper.

POLT

Listening to the Bengals-Steelers game

1 comment:

Bunny said...

I also have all the trek ornaments - lol. We're geeks too!



My word verification: yjgyp