Wednesday, December 26, 2007

I gave to you, this holiday is over....

Well, the Christmas festivities are at an end. This is my weekend:

Friday night, at about 930, I got a call from a friend who had had a huge fight with his girlfriend, and he couldn't stay at their place and asked me to come pick him up. I drove the 45 minutes to get him, and back, and then we talked a bit before he fell asleep on the couch and I went to bed. I set the alarm for 5:45 the next morning, because I had to get ready and then drive him to a friend's house before I got to work at 7:00. Surprisingly, i made it on time.

Work wasn't too bad, it was actually quite relaxed, which is the way i like Satrudays. At 300 I got off work and came home, took a half hour nap, then got ready, and took my gifts to my mom's house, loaded up the car, drove to get my grandmother, added her stuff to the mix, and then drove half an hour to my Uncle's house where were having the family Christmas...and got thier a little after 500.

This was my mom's family, and this was kind of a momentous occasion. All the time I was growing up, my mom, her sister, her two brothers and all thier families would go to my grandparent's on Christmas Eve where we'd exchanged gifts and such. My grandfather died in 1998. And then sometime in 1999, there was this HUGE falling out between my one uncle and the other uncle and my aunt. My mom, smartly, stayed neutral through it all, but there was a split and neither side would talk to the other. Mom, Dad and I got invited to both sides for Christmas and such, since we hadn't taken a side.

Well, my dad's death, I think, opened some eyes amongst the family. There were all there at the funeral and afterwards at my mom's house. And because of that, I think, overatures were made and the lone uncle and his family came to the big family get-together Satruday night. it was great to see everyone together again (well, except for dad, obviously). We opened gifts going in age from youngest to oldest. I was a little after halfway through. And when i sat in the "big chair" I said "Before I start, I just want to say that it's great seeing everyone here together tonight. And I hope this is something that continues on a regular basis." On the way home, Mom thanked me for that, because she wanted to say it too, but didn't think she could. And in fact, she started crying as she said even that to me. So this was the first year in 8 years that we ALL had been there at Christmas. And it made for a good time. I don't think the uncles and the sister were all that friendly towards each other, but at least they were all there, ya know? And that's what matters.

Anyways, after that, we came home, and I watched the end of the Dallas Cowboys game (they WON! And with the Packers loss on Sunday, that means they get home field advantage throughout the playoffs! Whoo-Hoo!) And then I went to bed.

Sunday, mom, grandma and I went over to the lone uncles hosue for lunch, and to watch my lil cousin Cam open his gifts. That was an entertaining afternoon...I posted a few very short movies of Cam a few days ago from that day. In the evening, I came home and Johnnie came down. Haven't seen him since the end of summer, that weekend that Freddie was down too. Johnnie and I ate pizza and watched football, and talked all the issues of the day. Which is just what I love doing with him.

Monday, I went to work. It was a busy but not hectic day. And I got everythign done early, so I just left at 2:30 instead of 4:00. Screw it, it was Christmas Eve, ya know? I stopped and got a 12 inch sub for mom and me. She said she was going to church, but she'd be back after 7:00 (I think i mentioned some of this stuff earlier, but bear with me). So at 7:00, i went over, she came back from church and we ate the sub and talked and stuff. And then a bit after 8:00, we settled in to watch "It's A Wonderful Life", which was the first time all the way through for both of us. And then I came home, and went tobed.

I got to her place on Christmas about 10:00 am. the house was filled with the smells of her cooking: the turkey, the stuffing, the potatoes (mashed AND sweet) the corn, the homemade bread she was baking. It was outstanding. We exchanged gifts. In addition to paying off my credit card for both my birthday AND Christmas, she got me the Star Trek ornament I get every year, a desk calendar of the stupidest saying ever, and an "I Love Lucy" lunchbox that she filled with chocolate covered caramel bars! YUM!

I got her the GPS system I mentioned before, an electronic Soduku game, and a calendar. I made it online, and it's got photos of her and dad throughout the years, from thier inital dating in 1958, through thier proms, marriage, baby shower, and then trips they took. She opened it and cried. but they she wiped her eyes and looked through it. She really liked. In fact, when anyone came in, that's what she showed them right away. And later when she went to visit people, she took that with her. I'm glad. I was a bit worried that it might upset her too much. But I don't think so.

Then, my grandma, uncle and his wife came over for lunch. And it was just out of this world, as usual. She is SUCH a great cook. We ate ourselves full, cleaned up, and then retired to the living room to talk. The living room hot from the wood stove. Well, the food and the warmth was too much for me, I was falling asleep. So instead, I went upstairs and took a 1.5 hour nap. When i went down, there were all still there, so we all talked some more. Eventually, they left, mom went to visit some other relatives, and i came home, and hung out here not doing too much of anything.

This morning, I got up and went to have lunch with two girls that I went to school with Shawn and Dawn. this was the second time this year we did so, we kinda reconnected this year after they found me online. Anyway, Shawn had a gift certificate for me, and Dawn had two different pairs of Superman boxers. Did we laugh? I didn't bring them any gifts, so I just bought their meals, and everything seemed balanced out.

After this, mom and I went shopping. I got next year's Christmas cards (for half price) and a vacuum cleaner. I don't know how often I'll use it, but I figured after living here for 10 years, it's probably time I actually got one. We shopped at Target and the Outlets stores, avoiding the mall and Wal-Mart at this time, although we'll probably hit those later on. then i hung out at her house, talking and stuff, and we ate leftovers (funny, isn't it, how turkey tastes better the day after?), and then i left and came back home, and here I am.

All in all, a pretty good holidays, considering all that's happened this fall.

POLT

Listening to " Pride And Joy" by Stevie Ray Vaughn

2 comments:

Bunny said...

Sounds like a great holiday, despite Dad not being there. I am SO GLAD your Mom likes the calendar. That she took it with her to show people says an awful lot. That is wonderful.

You are well on your way to the spectacular 2008 that you've earned after this crummy fall 2007!!

Truthspew said...

Had a good holiday here too, spent a week with the in-laws. Now I'm waiting at Dulles (IAD) for a flight into Boston that's DELAYED!