Thursday, April 16, 2009

The minds of such devilish boys, your dreams bought and sold...

As you may or may not remember, I mentioned that I made and took deviled eggs to my family's Easter get together. And since I mentioned that, I know there are tons of you, a couple...a least one of you that would like to know just how I make said deviled eggs. Or at least somebody's bored enough to spend some time reading this and looking at the photos.

So lean back, prepare to have your mouth watering, and enjoy, as I attempt to channel Julia Child.

How To Make Polt's Deviled Eggs
(recipe stolen part, parcel and egg carton from a lady I work with)


Step 1: Procure a dozen eggs.


Step 2: Place said eggs in large pot.


Step 3: Fill egg-filled pot with water.


Step 4: Place water covered, egg-filled pot onto stove burner.


Step 5: Call Mama Polt to see exactly how long eggs should remain on stove.


Step 6: When water reaches a boil, turn down to medium heat.


Step 7: Eggs remain on stove 10 minutes after being turned down. Check watch!


Step 8: take a seperate bowl and put very cold water in it.


Step 9: After 10 minutes, transfer eggs from pot of boiling water to bowl with cold water. Note: use tongs. Boiling water is HOT. Trust me.


Step 10: Place bowl of cold water covered eggs in the fridge.


Step 11: Next day, dig through stuff tacked onto bulletien board and find rarely used co-worker's recipe.


Step 12: Find good music to work to on iPod.


Step 13: Peel the eggs. If doing so over the open trash can, do not remove any inadvertantly dropped eggs from said trash can.


Step 14: Cut eggs in half, dropping yokes into bowl.


Step 15: Put de-yoked egg halves into deviled egg carrier.


Step 16: Since container only has room for 20 egg halves (10 eggs), that leaves 2 other eggs to be used as spares, in case you drop one into the trash can (see step 13), mutilate an egg during peeling. Alternately, the spares may simply be eaten, as treat to self for making the eggs.


Step 17: Scoop appropriate amount (I don't have the recipe with me now, so we're not gonna list exact amounts) of mayonnaise onto egg yokes.


Step 18: Pour appropriate amount of mustard onto mayonnaise-covered egg yokes.


Step 19: It should look like this. Surprising anyone wants to eat these, right?


Step 20: Mash egg yokes, mayonnaise and mustard into paste. Salt to taste.


Step 21: Stop mashing when paste looks...similiar to this.


Step 22: Spoon paste into open yoke spaces of egg halves.


Step 23: Sprinkle with paprika (to ensure there's some kinda taste).


Step 24: Display proudly and anticipate compliments rolling in.


See, nice and simple. Course, clean up is a bitch, what with the pots and pans, not mention the egg yoke paste that I had on my finger and up my arms to my elbows. And somehow, in my hair. But the clean up is a post for another day.

POLT Listening to "Three Marlenas" The Wallflowers

Never trust a monkey in love. - Dr. Sivana, The Outsiders #40

9 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Uh yeah - so just disregard that message. Forgot about the old time difference.

You're looking pretty cute with those eggs.
Woo Hoo!

Anonymous said...

You can always stuff the yoke mixture into a pastry bag and use a tip that swirls it into the whites. Just to be fancy of course.

I generally abhor hard boiled eggs. I don't know if it's the sulfur content but I can eat deviled eggs.

Tam said...

I don't like deviled eggs because I don't like mayo. I prefer my hard boiled eggs plain. Why would they make a deviled egg container with only 20 holes? Do they assume people will eat/destroy at least two eggs?

Craig said...

Deviled eggs are my favorite!

Anonymous said...

yum.

Onanites secret to boiling eggs:

Bring to rolling boil, then shut off all heat. Let sit until you can comfortably take eggs out of water without burning yourself.

This leaves the yokes nice and yellow with no green tint. They are fully cooked.

There ya go......... a little hint from me. Try it it works.

Onanite

Ray Avito said...

The tongs note gave me a good chuckle! I do love some deviled eggs and *clueless alert* always wondered what that red stuff was...

Mel said...

What Onanite said, and really there isn't a measured amount of mayo to put in. You just put in the right amount, or a little less and then add more until you reach the right amount. Same with the mustard. You just know when it's the right amount.

Anonymous said...

My trick for hard boiled:

Get water up to a boil and drop in eggs with heat on for five minutes.

Turn off heat, cover and leave for ten minutes. Perfect!

Mark said...

I could eat an entire plate of deviled eggs. If I wasn't on this stupid diet!!!