Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Post from the road, part 5...

So today, I mean yesterday, Michelle and I went to the islands. I've been coming to Toronto since 1997, and have been here, i think 15 times previous to this time, and yet, I've never been there.

We had a great time. Got to ride the ferry (and no, that's not double entrendre for anything) over to the islands, and then we meandered around, checking out the things to see there. We also walked around the base of the CN tower before the ferry was ready to leave for the islands.

But after about an hour and a half, not being a woodsy type of person, I went back and returned to Toronto proper whilst Michelle remained on the island to investigate them further. Upon my return, I decided to go check out this comic book shop called the Silver Snail. Unfortunately, due to arriving on Queen street from the wrong side street I ended up walking a half hour to forty minutes beyond the store without realizing it, going double the distance down the street that I needed to. It was only upon my return back up the street that I noticed that when I entered Queen Street, instead of turning west as I did, I had turned east and gone three storefronts, there was the store. SIGH.

Because of all this walking, not only were my legs tired and sore, but I got sunburnt AGAIN! For the second day. I mean, who in THE hell goes north to Canada and gets sunburnt? TWICE? Other than me?

At any rate, after checking out the store, but in the end, not buying anything, I returned to the hotel, passing a large group of people, surrounded by cops, blocking the street in front of USA consulate and protesting something we're apparently doing, or not doing, in Sri Lanka.

When I got to the hotel, I rested for a bit, and then went to check out the scene (tally is now 13).

Following this, I grabbed something to eat and a shower, and got ready, cause my cute Asian friend from up here, Ed, was stopping by at 7:00. At about 6:30, Michelle finally returned from her day. Not only had she walked all over the islands, but she went up into the CN Tower, and got some pictures up there for me, which so far I've avoided looking at, cause my fear of heights makes me anxious even looking at photos like that (oh, don't judge me, it's not like YOU aren't afraid of cats, or needles, or claustrophobic or anything!).

When Ed showed up, we briefly talking with Michelle, and got some photos, and then he and I left. I had no idea what we were going to do, and neither really did he. We just started walking (of all things) and talking. And it ended up we walked and talked for about two hours. He is SUCH a fascinating, fun, funny, interesting individual. Yet another guy I could easily fall for, but who's unattainable (kinda like Corey, but unattainable for different reasons {oh, hey, how cool is it that Corey texted me and then called me Saturday night just to see if I was having a good time? Isn't he a sweetheart?}) We happened to walk past the protest, which, even 5 hours after I first saw it, was still raging. He helped me find something to put on my sunburn, and then it ended up, since he was a bit hungry, we went to an open 24 hours McDonalds across the street from my hotel and ate something and then sat and talked for another hour and half. I'm real sorry I couldn't spend more time with him, but we couldn't get our schedules to mesh. But he was talking about visiting Washington DC, which means I would get to be his tour guide, if he did it, so that's awesomely cool.

So tomorrow's itenerary includes the Royal Ontario Museum, a nice dinner somewhere, some more checking out of the scenes, and locating a dictionary so i can figure out how to properly spell itenerary.

POLT

5 comments:

Tam said...

Glad you guys are still having fun, even if you are getting crispy.

They moved the Sri Lankan protests to Toronto from here as the community is bigger there. Royal PITA, they were blocking the streets here and no allowing buses to pass. Some people were taking 3-4 hours to get home. It wasn't pretty. They want Canada (and I guess the US if they were at the consulate) to step in and stop the civil war there.

Teach Me Something Tuesday makes its debut on the Palace. LOL

hoteltuesday said...

A sweetheart?! UH HUUUH....
I'm telling you....

Polt said...

Oh Enrickyricardo, if ONLY it were true! but I fear, tis not. I'm destined to just pine from afar.

HUGS...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are having a stellar time good for you. I wish I was there.

Onanite

john said...

From comics to "coitus", man do you know how to have a vacation. Though, I have to admit that what stands out in my mind the most is that you went to Canada and got a sunburn, twice.