Thursday, April 10, 2008

Like the cover of a book, and said, "don't expect me to believe...

Yesterday, as I do every Wednesday after work, I went to Atomic Comics and got my weekly fix of comics. Last night, as I lay down to bed to read them, I scanned through to pick a few to read that first night. I came up the Titans Together, or whatever the new Titans' title is called. This is the cover:



Well, just seeing this brought the comic fanboy inside me damn near to orgasm! I've collected the Titans since 1981, with the re-issue of the Wolfman/Perez version. And I've been with them ever since...even through the horrific Titans led by the teenaged Atom (oh the HORROR!). But to see the hands of the original 7 (well, I KNOW they're not the original seven, cause the first Teen Titans had only Robin, Kid Flash and Aqualad, but I mean the original seven from 1981) all together again...well, THIS is what the Titans are all about!

And then I read the comic.

And at the end, the grown up me damn near had an orgasm! It was THAT outstanding! Great artwork, great storyline, great pacing, great charaterizations, everything meshed perfectly. I figured out what was going on before they revealed it on the last page, but that didn't lessen the effect! I think I may have screamed. Well, gasped really. Just a little bit.

Then I moved on to the newest issue of the Justice Society Of America.



Alex Ross covers...man, does ANYONE do them better than him? And the story had me going, seeing as how it's bringing in parts of Kingdom Come as well. And then, on the last page, seeing the two characters there, hearing what they said....yes I screamed a bit more. Well, just an excited exhalation, really.

I shouldn't have been surprised really. Judd Winnick is writing the Titans, and Geoff Johns is writing the JSA, and both of them are two of the premiere writers in comics today. NOT becasue they put the most popular characters together regardless of implausability (ala Wolverine in the Avengers...puh-LEESE!), but because they know about, and care about, the characters and character development and growth.

Man, it has been quite some time since I've been so exciting about something in comics, and so breathlessly awaited the next issue. Probably not since the Identity Crisis a few years back, trying to figure out who killed Sue Dibny. *SIGH*...it's GOOD to be reading comics now.

POLT Listening to "Mr. Richards" by R.E.M. Oil: 109.75 (-.83); Gas: 3.33 (-)

Our enemies may never be as bad as we think. And we may not be as good. - Amanda Waller, JLU

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have your comics fix, I have my reading fix. I'm reading Michio Kaku's "Physics of the Impossible" right now.

And tonight I had to order a new palm rest assembly for my laptop. That's why I never get service contracts beyond a year. I can get the parts and fix it myself much more cheaply.

And I let my electronics geek out and ordered the $10 in parts I need to make my ultraviolet illuminator. I'm going to get some interesting photographic effects with that.