Monday, April 07, 2008

Your shoulders, like dead hands of the past...

Charleton Heston has died.


I don't care.

When I think of Charlton Heston, I don't think of an actor, of the guy in Planet Of The Apes. No, what I think of is that man who, just one week after a little black girl was shot and killed by another young boy in I think Michigan, went to Michigan and gave a speech wherein he spouted the NRA talking points and said they'd take his guns when they "pried them from his cold dead hands". I hope they didn't take them even then. Bury the firearms with him, at least that ensures they won't be used to kill someone.

When I think of Charleton Heston, I don't think of a gifted actor, but I think of a man who was little more than a megaphone to spew forth whatever crap the NRA force-fed him. Less than a week after the little girl is dead, he does this. My God, she was barely in the ground and he's there preaching the virtues of guns.

In a related note, the Pennsylvania state House recently took a vote on an important issue. It was a bill's amendment that stated that if a gunowner has his gun stolen, he will be required by law to report it stolen within three days of his discovery that it's stolen. Failing to do so would be a misdemeanor with just a fine, but if it happens three times, then it's a felony, with a higher fine and possible jail time.

The PA House voted, something along the lines of 128-75, against the amendment. Against. They said no, if a gunowner loses or hasa his gun stolen, he should not report it. Just let it go. Don't harrass these poor over regulated gun owners.

Pffft. Please. I was disappointed, but not at all surprised. After all, this is a state where the first day of hunting season in, I think November, is almost a state holiday. Naturally, the urban members of the House voted for the bill, because they're the ones representing people being threatened and shot by these lost or stolen guns. And the rural members, like the ones representing me, are all probably car carrying members of the NRA and to them, the 2nd amendment is 100 times more imporant than the other 9 in the Bill of Rights.

The House Speaker, one Dennis O'Brien, himself a Republican who voted against it, said this: "It's a difficult vote to explain why you're not for it, but the deficiencies were glaring." HUH??? If it's deficiencies were glaring, then why is it difficult to explain why you didn't vote for it??? Maybe those deficiencies were the NRA head honchos screaming in your ear that you'd lose all their money and endorsements come the next election, eh, Denny old man?

POLT Listening to "I'm Gonna DJ" by R.E.M.

However, finding out that the queen's been electrocuted by a gay guy with a cattle prod and a three and a half inch willy is really queer news indeed. - Byron, 9 Dead Gay Guys

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am a former NRA member. Former because when Heston took over I thought they were a bit too strident talking about the slippery slope.

BTW, both sides are guilty of the slippery slope arguments.

I'm a supporter of ones rights to own weaponry. I also think that carry permits are discriminatory.

Lone Primate said...

I was surprised to learn just how liberal Chuck Heston once was. I recall seeing him appear on Saturday Night Live, reading a letter he wrote to LBJ in 1968 -- with a touch of irony, since by the time he appeared, it was clear he no longer agreed with what he wrote (it was in support of gun control). But I've read lately he worked with Dr. King in 1963 and once picketed a segregated theatre in Oklahoma showing one of his films. It's almost like he was abducted or something, to become a guy who championed guns and spoke to Michael Moore of the supposedly particular problems the US has with minorities (though his phrasing was a little more PC than that). What happened to him to turn him 180 on so many things?

Let me get this straight... in Pennsylvania, it's going to be a big deal now if you have guns stolen from you THREE times and you don't report it? Man, I'd fine you the first time unless you could prove you'd taken adequate precautions and someone was REALLY determined to nick your shooter. The second time, I'd ban you from owning again for at least several years. And that's IF you came clean and reported it. If you didn't... "accessory before the fact", chum.

Lone Primate said...

Oh, my mistaken. I misread that. So Pennsylvania doesn't give a good goddamn. How comforting it borders one of the Great Lakes, handing out free guns to anyone who can break a window. >:/

Anonymous said...

Well spoken, Polt.

I didn't always agree with Mr. Heston's (or others) with their reasoning, but....I do want to retain my right to own and carry a concealed or, even more preferable, an unconcealed firearm.

An unconcealed firearm permit is more difficult to get if you can get one at all where you live, but they are legal and permits for them are issued.

First and foremost I want the security to know that I can shoot an intruder in my own home if that type of incident should come about.
And in most states I would not be charged with a crime as long as I shoot the intruder dead (so don't just maim the person).

In a public place carrying an unconcealed weapon would be a good deterent, such as in the recent college classroom shootings. Of course most of the kids were probably too freaked out to think about shooting back even if they had a gun. Also, I'm sure it would keep people from walking in my direction in general, which is probably a good idea these days since I'm such a cranky fool.

I've read several stories while I was still in Virginia and here in Michigan where a number of people got together (there were not cops) and went out to eat and generally just out on the town with their unconcealed weapons...in some cases they said they didn't even load the weapons, but it created quite a stir wherever they went. Police were called and people in restaurant and other places would leave when they saw the gun holsters. Some restaurants requested them not to come back unless they left the weapons at home. I guess that means they had to leave their pocket knives at home too...after all you could do serious harm with a pocket knive, right? Eventually the fuss died down, but people still have their permits to carry unconcealed weapons.

I need to check into that soon.

Furry Godfather.