Monday, April 07, 2008

This one goes out to the one I love...

I just downloaded the new R.E.M. album from iTunes. I'm currently listening to it, and I gotta say, it's pretty good. It sounds like early R.E.M., which brings back all kinds of memories for me!

It's also the first time I downloaded an entire album. Was kinda hesitant about it, but I don't know why. it was $13.99, which I don't think I could have gotten it for any cheaper anywhere around here. And there was no tax, which there would have been around here. And I didn't have the leave the house, and waste gas, and fight crowds and such to get it. i could just sit here at my computer, naked, and buy it. (probably not a visual any of you want...sorry)

R.E.M. memory: In the fall of 1987, I went with my friend Jim and Duff, and some of Duff's family to his step-mother's uncle cabin in Erie PA, situation right along the lake. It was a bit cold as it was October, but it was beautiful. And an incredibly fun time. We drove two vehicles. I was driving my car, with Jim and Duff with me. In the cabin, the three of us stayed upstairs in one bedroom that had a king sized bed in it that the three of us could easily sleep in together. And I remember one night of some intense sweaty half naked wrestling taking place between us on that bed, but nothing more than that. I also found a pretty decent comic book shop up there, and got a few back issues I needed. Also had a girl at a register accuse me of being from the South because of my accent. She would not believe I lived in the southern part of PA, 5 minutes from the Maryland border. She insisted I lived in Kentucky or Tennessee.

At ANY rate, while driving up there, and while driving home, and in the cabin a few times (at least once while we were in the bed), I heard "The One I Love" by R.E.M. All three of us sang along with the chorus, laughing our asses off trying to sing the "FIRE" part.

Funtimes...funtimes.




POLT Listening to "Accelerate" by R.E.M.

"Conservative' is a magic word that applies to those who are in other conservative's good graces. Until they aren't. At which point, they are liberals. - Digby

1 comment:

Blissfully Wed said...

Beautiful. 1987 might have been my big R.E.M. memory as well. I remember seeing them when they came to my town on that tour and having the best time.

My friend's sister came with us and spent most of the night puking from drinking too much Robitussen. Good times. Good times. ;)

I love the new album. My only criticism is that it's pretty short.