Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Your private life drama, baby, leave me out...

Even though I asked people not to ask, because it's complicated, some people HAVE asked why Don and I went on a date with his friend Jim. I was going to post about this, I hadn't intended on doing it this soon, but eh, no time like the present right?

It seems I can't have a relationship without drama. We all know my last boyfriend was Freddie, twenty years younger than me, living about 10 hours away, and even when at college, still three hours away. not terribly condusive to perfecting a relationship, but very condusive to drama.

Don just lives about 45 minutes away and is only two years older than me (I think I might have said he was a year younger than me, but that was a mistake in my part). So those particular bits of drama aren't applicable here. But there is something else.

Don, well, Don has a partner, named Jim. Jim is twenty years older than Don, and has a serious heart condition, that his doctors have said gives him about 2 years to live, maybe more, maybe less. Jim and Don have been together 15 years, but Jim has told Don that, because of his heart, he knows he can no longer satisfy him sexually. And he wants Don to be happy when he's gone. So Jim has told him to find someone, someone he (Don) likes and Jim wants to meet this person, to make sure he's good enough for Don.

Don and I have been together serveral times. Jim's known about them all. And this movie/meal date thingee on Monday was for Jim and I to meet each other and get to know each other a bit. Frankly, I liked the guy, we had a stimulatingd conversation about politics over the meal. And even though I feared there would be, there were no awkward pauses or uncomfortable silences. And I assume he was pleased with me as well, because when we parted, he invited down to thier house, and I haven't heard anything negative about the day from Don.

*SIGH*....yeah, I know, I know. I'm kinda ambivalent about some of this myself. It is, I believe you'll agree, a strange situation. And it's the honest truth, cause kids, even I couldn't make this kinda stuff up.

I'm not really sure how this is all gonna play out, but what I do know is that I like Don A LOT. And I know that he feels the same. And right now, that's what matters. Don has said he's worried that I might not wait for him...two years, or more, is a long time. And he's right, it is. But right now, Don is who I want. And I'm willing to wait. I mean, we can still get together and have fun, and dates, and sex and stuff....without Jim.

It ain't perfect, I know. But Don's practially perfect for me. We fit. We match. At least so far. So I'm willing to hang on and see what develops further.

And besides, how could I NOT have some drama in my life????

POLT Listening to "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult

"And would it kill you to wear pink, Lori?" "Probably." - Lori, Black Alice #1

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're confusing drama here. This isn't drama, this is just something going on.

Jim seems like a pretty level headed guy. Who knows what'll happen, just enjoy it for what it is and if something more comes of it, so be it.

Live for the moment. Seriously, it's gotten me through 43 years already.

Bunny said...

Enjoy the present, don't worry about the future. Jim sounds like a mature guy who really cares about Don. It doesn't matter one whit what anyone else thinks. What you, Don, and Jim think is all that matters.

I'm so glad you've found someone, even if the situation isn't perfect. When are things ever perfect?

Anonymous said...

I agree. Stay in the moment and have a good time. There is often drama in life, and sometimes drama is a good thing!

Anonymous said...

Talk about drama, wow! It is like a script to a movie, good luck buddy.

Onanite

tornwordo said...

If it wasn't awkward, then it's no big drama. A little peculiar perhaps, but what in life isn't? Follow your heart and good luck.

Ashly Star said...

That is a little odd but if Jim and Don have that much history together, I can see Jim wanting to make sure Don is getting taken care of in the future. As long as it isn't too awkward and doesn't cause any real problems for you; go for it and enjoy yourself.

Unknown said...

It is utterly romantic that Jim loves Don so much, that he is willing to do this for him.

Complicated yes, drama, no.

I agree 10% with Bunny!

MarcelloNYC said...

Sorry Bunny, that was 100%.