Friday, April 25, 2008

Their selling point, the focus for their new campaign...

As regular readers know, I've not had too many good things to say about John McCain. But in this post, at least, that will change.

I'm not sure if you've heard about this or not, but Republicans in North Carolina had made a TV ad resorting to tried and true Republican tactics: trying to say Obama's not a good candidate or a good American using clips of the Rev. Wright.

John McCain, or someone in his campaign, sent a letter to the state party and asked them not to run the ad. I didn't get the actual reasons listed in the request, but perhaps John McCain wants to have an election based on issues and ideas and not propoganda and made-up side tangents that don't mean a damn thing. Perhaps, he was wants to have an elections that deals with the difference in the candidates positions and not in distractions.

I don't know why he wrote it, but it demonstrates quite clearly why I always said he was the least objectionable of the Republican candidates. Course, when you're running against Rudy "911911911911911" Guiliani, Mitt "The Iraq War is so important, I'm keeping my sons here at home to run my presidential campaign instead of sending them in to fight it" Romeny and Mike "Just slightly to the right of Jerry Falwell" Huckabee, it's not difficult to be the least objectionable of that bunch. And it shows why, had he gotten the nomination against Gore in 2000, I would have voted for McCain.

We'll have to see if he and his campaign maintain this kind of issues-oriented election going, or if they resort to the typical Rovian, Republican tactics once the generel election starts. I sincerely hope it's the former.

POLT Listening to "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel

I like the idea of people running for office. There's a positive effect when you run for office. Maybe some will run for office and say, vote for me, I look forward to blowing up America. I don't know, I don't know if that will be their platform or not. But it's - I don't think so. - George W. Bush

2 comments:

Blissfully Wed said...

I kind of agree with you on McCain. Here are two items of interest in regards to him:

1. Anna Quindlen in Newsweek. http://www.newsweek.com/id/132860

2. The funny folks at Red State Update. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjaC1vYwgAs

Blissfully Wed said...

Sorry, I don't know how to link in comments. ;)