Monday, April 14, 2008

With adventures for the stout of heart...

My adventures with Mama Polt.

This past Saturday, when I was at work, I got a call from Mom. She said her car's battery was dead. It left her sit at some store. She wanted me to drop by the house after work so we could deal with this. I had misunderstood her a bit, but what I said above was what she meant. What we needed to do was to go get a new set of jumper cables as her's were no good. So I took het to Advanced Auto and she got a set. For my troubles, I was rewarded with a home cooked meal of baked ham, baked potatos and peas. Yummy,

Sunday, I went over for lunch. And we decided to go to the Outlets in Gettysburg so I could a few things at the Fat Man's Store (known elsewhere as Casual Male Big & Tall) and look for some shoes. And that's what we did. I got a pair of jeans, a pair of shorts and two shirts. I was only in the store for like ten minutes, cause I just wasnt feeling it. I have to be in the mood for shopping. When I am, I can go mad in a Fat Man's Store. But when Im not, eh...nothing.

I looked in a couple shoe stores there, but I refuse to pay $50 or more for a pair of shoes. I can get TWO pair at Payless for that price. I can't justify spending that much on shoes when I can get shoes that are just fine, cheaper, elsewhere. Course, as mom pointed out to me, I'll spend $55 on four action figures, and $30-s0me dollars a week on comic books, but not $50 on shoes. And yes, its true. And that all makes perfect sense to me, so shut up about it.

So then, after helping ourselves to a soft pretzel at Aunt Annies, we drove through Gettysburg and to the Chambersburg Mall, where I got a pair of brown work shoes and a pair of sneakers for the grand total of $44 and some odd cents.

After this we returned to her house. Once more, I misudnerstood what she had said. I thought I was going to jump her car and then follow her out to the mechanic's place that works on Volkswagens that night. Then she's call him first thing Monday morning about fixing it. So when we got to her place, I hung out there. Later, she fried up some hamburgers, which were delicious, of course. And i hung around there for a bit longer, watching something about WW2 on TV...which she and I both napped through. After that, i said I guess I was ready to go home, did we want to go take the VW out now? And that's when she told me she wanted to do that Monday morning, AFTER she called him. Okay...well, that made a bit more sense, I suppose. She said she'd call me in the morning. Only then did she realize she didn't have a car to take her to church Sunday night. So I left mine there, and she just used it, and she kept it there overnight.

Monday morning, then, at 8:15, she called and woke me up and told me she would take my car down and jump hers and I could just meet her there. 8:15...on a Monday morning, my day to sleep in....grumble grumble. But I got up, threw on some clothes, and walked over. When i got there, she was trying to jump the car, but her battery was too dead. I mean it was dead dead. Deader than a doornail. The volkswagen was going nowhere.

She called the mechanic, who said he'd be in when he got everything there organized. An hour later, there was no sign of him. She asked if I had had any breakfast yet, and I told her no. So she said she'd make me some, and he'd come while she was doing it. She was almost finished frying the eggs when she saw him pull up to the garage. So off she went. I finished the eggs and ate them.

Her car fixed, she went off to work. I came home, got online, napped shortly, then showered and prepared to actually start my day.

It's always an adventure with Mama Polt.

POLT Listening to "Nothing In My Way" by Keane

I'm a do-it-yourself-er. Usually two or three times a day. - Thom, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I'm glad I live in a walkable city with decent public transit, though to be good public transit it'd ride on rails instead of rubber.

Cars are a money pit. I've been looking at jobs and if I get one in Boston, it's the MBTA all the way for me.

Anonymous said...

It is obvious you really love your mom, good for you. We only have one set of parents.

Onanite

S said...

If you keep hanging out at MOMS you are going to outgrow Big Tall Shop!
Holy mackerel, you guys ate like a weeks worth of food!
LOL

:P

Im just a nibbler.
That explains the midget stature.

You are a doll for taking care of your mom. You didnt say how you got home that night.

Bunny said...

You and your mom are so adorable. I love that she cooks for you and you do so much for her. It's wonderful.

My mom can be a bitch on wheels. I envy people who have a nice mom. Mine tries to be nice, but she just can't help being a bitch.