Friday, July 18, 2008

I was no dark knight, breaking men like ice...

So, last night I saw The Dark Knight. At 12:01 am.

It all started with the group meeting at TGIFridays at 10:00. It was me, Ag, A Local Celebrity Mr. David ParisPeking, Ghostie, Don, and his friend from California Mark.


Sorry, no icon for Mark.

We had a few drinks, some snacks, and a load of fun. I accurately predicted the ALCMDPP would order a side salad with honey mustard dressing (he's such a creature of habit). We dicussed the Road Trip to White Castle, and I discovered to my mortication that ALCMDPP had originally picked Ghostie first. I was his second choice. but then Ghostie called Mrs. ALCMDPP unattractive (sorta) so that all made up for it. The trip to baltimore to see Rent and our problems with Garmin on the return were discussed. My singing ability, or lack thereof, was discussed, and we realized Don (and Mark) were the only ones NOT to have heard me sing. We talked about Toronto. We talked about Rent coming to DC again, as well as a revival of West Side Story. Strangely, Ghostie sang with me some lyrics from that musical. Ghostie hates musicals. Even stranger, we found out the Ghosite would 'do' Bruce Willis. This, along with the musical-thing, forced us all to reevaluate our position on Ghostie's sexuality. We discussed the upcoming movie, as well as the upcoming Watchmen. We discussed the daughter of ALCMDPP and how two of the three pray for my soul and love me. more thatn ALCMDPP himself (or so I say). We discussed many other topics which i can't at this moment recall. But there was much laughter, drinking, eating, and talking.

And then we went to the movie. We got to the theater shortly at 11:00pm. Ghostie had already gotten the tickets for us, so we could go right in. Even so, we could get seats together. Ag and Mark volunteered to sit down in front. ALCMDPP and Ghostie sat together. And Don and I sat together further back. We saw three people done up in Joker makeup, which is the exact number ALCMDPP predicted previously. And finally the movie started.

They showed a Watchmen trailer, which gave me a woodie right there in the theater, just as it does whenever I view it here at home online. I can't WAIT for that movie. And one the lights went down, Don and I got very surreptiously touchy-feely with each other. Gotta love that.

BUT, the movie itself...okay, I've kept you in suspence long enough. My first thought on it is: I was LONG! But there was an incredible amount of stuff going on. Loved the character progression of Harvey Dent. Heath Ledger as The Joker was truly frightening, just as the character should be, not somewhat campy like Jack Nicholson. It was an outstanding movie, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

having said all that, i don't like it lived up to my expectations. I don't know what I expected that didn't occur, but it just seemed there would be...more. Don't get wrong, as I said I LOVED it, but it still wasn't as good as I expected it to be.

Perhaps I am just whining, cause I can recall two different places when I actually gasped and clapped, along with several other people in the audience. There were surprises in it. And everthing was well paced and well written.

But one big reget? That there was no character in it that looked like this:


Other than that, and the small bit of unexpectation I felt, the movie was the best. And I'd highly recommend it.

POLT Listening to "Little Fluffy Clouds" by The Orb

It's time for those who talk about family values to start valuing families. - John Kerry, July 29, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't wait to see it. I'm watching my Batman Begins dvd tonight to get myself prepped.

Bunny said...

I went to the 1st matinee Friday morn and gave a mini recap on my blog as well. I HATED Maggie Gyllenhall as Rachel Dawes. I didn't like Katie Holmes much in the first one, but actually disliked the character even more in this one. She just didn't have any chemistry with Batman or Harvey. They should have cast me, an actual lawyer who is very much attracted to both Christian Bale and Aaron Eckhart. I may be fat and ugly, but I probably would have had more chemistry with both actors than M.G. I'm still tickled that my pretend boyfriend William Fichtner was in it! Even if only for a short time.

I thought Heath Ledger was fabulous and the movie was very good, but not so stupendous as some seem to think. Yes, it was a better story than some of the other "superhero" movies, but certainly not perfect. It was very long and the Two-Face storyline just seemed tacked on, not fully fleshed-out (so to speak).