Tuesday, July 29, 2008

An utterance, information, dont' mince words (Part 106)...

TMI Tuesdays


This is a tribute to the late great George Carlin.

1. What is your language pet peeve. (example 'hot water heater', why would you heat hot water) The example I think is of an oxymoron, which really aren’t pet peeves of mine. But I HATE it when someone says ‘hisself’ instead of ‘himself’.
2. What is your favorite word? Both dirty and clean? Dirty: Cock, for obvious reasons. Clean: Eighteen, it presents such a young, innocent, testosterone-laden image.
3. What is the one word you cannot spell? When typing I usually spelling ‘just’ as ‘just’ just cause fast I type. Other than that, I can spell pretty much every word I need to, although at certain times, I have had to look up different words.
4. What is the one word you always pronounce wrong? Statistics. Could never say it withou stumbling over it for years. Even now, I have to pause before saying it to make sure I’m thinking it correctly before I say it.
5. If you could erase one popular catchphrase from the english language, what would it be? Oh how I detest ‘ya know’ and ‘like’ when people use it over and over and over in one sentence. It’s, like, ya know, they can’t, ya know, think of, like, anything else to, ya know, say about, like, whatever the topic is, ya know?
Bonus (as in optional): The late, and very hot Michael Hutchence (INXS) once sang, "Words are weapons, sharper than knives" . What is the most hurtful thing you have ever said to anyone? Was it deliberate or accidental? What was the most hurtful thing ever said to you? Do you think it was deliberate or accidental? People have told me I’ve said things to them that hurt them, and I’ve apologized when they tell me, but I never meant to hurt them. Sometimes, I just say things without thinking first, not even realizing that what I’m saying could hurt them. I don’t recall anyone saying anything that really hurt me, I’ve got a pretty thick skin, and shrug most stuff off.

POLT Listening to "Teenage Kicks" by The Undertones Oil: 122.19 (-1.34); gas: 3.87 (-.01)

"You haven't been to one dance rehersal!" "I've been rehearsing online!" - Kelly, The Dance

6 comments:

Dana said...

Ahhh ... the typing misspelling ... I forgot about that! My most common typing flub is "bust" for "busy." Hmmm ... wonder what that says about me?

Anonymous said...

"hisself" **shudders**

Statistics is pretty challenging, there's just so much tongue movement.

Anonymous said...

Back when I was a young'n, I couldn't say "car" for the life of me. It kept coming out "cow" unless I really really concentrated. I came *this* close to having to take speech therapy. :-P

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

I have issues with "statistics" too...

It sometimes comes out "sadistics" or "statisdicks". Either of which are just a dash Freudian.

Happy late TMI.

hoteltuesday said...

The use of "like" and "ya know" etc are actually not random or used because of laziness or lack of something to say. I took a class called American English and we learned about the use of focuser "like" and quotative "like." I know you dislike the use of it, but I did too until I read the article, called "The sociolinguistic distribution of and attitudes toward focuser like and quotative like."
If you're bored or have a lot of free time, you should try to find it.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is a blast, but I can't view at work, so I'm a little behind the times.

I almost consistently type "infromation" and "from" for "form". I have trouble with my o r timing.

I have trouble saying familiarity and the phrase "watch battery" (which is usually uttered as "batch wattery".

Favorite words: clean: "cookie" and "spoon". Dirty: "fuck"