Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Try to sue you, magazines will misquote ya...

Obama says he wants to expand the Faith based initiatives. When I first heard this, i was disappointed. I don't believe the government has any business giving money to religious organizations. It's EVERYONE'S tax money, but it's not EVERYONE'S particular religion. So I was against.

however, upon further reading, I see that Obama wants to do it, so long as, the money given is not used to preach to or try to convert anyone, and the hiring of workers or volunteers for the program receiving money is NOT based upon one supporting the religion.

I still don't like the idea, but if those are the conditions, then, hey, I wouldn't be as opposed to it as I am in its current incarceration.
**********************************
In a tangetal (?) issue, can the McCain camp try to wring anymore press out of the non-issue of Wesley Clark's comments? Geez, from the foaming at the mouth his people, and the right wing nuts on the talkradio are doing, you'd think Clark said McCain was living in palaces, getting fed peeled grapes by slave girls and telling the Vietcong everything he knew about all the American secrets. Please.

Just to set the record straight, Clark said, and I'm paraphrasing here, that being shot down in Vietnam and being tortured does not automatically make a man ready to be president. And that's true. Going through all that, and surviving, I think makes him immensely strong, and corageous. Might even make him heroic. But it doesn't make him automatically ready to be president. Being the Vice-President surely is the best way to garner the experience needed to be president. Perhaps being governor of a big state, like California, or NY, or Florida, might.

But being shot down by the enemy and tortured by them and living to tell the tale has nothing whatsoever to do with being ready to be president.

I think it's clear that this whole issue was inflamed by the media. I mean, it's summer, people don't pay attention to politics in the summer. And there's really nothing new to report in either campaign until they announce their VP choices. So the media needs to drug up some news.

But I'm just glad to see Clark's not backing down and apologizing. he shouldn't apologize, he didn't say or do anything wrong. And I'm glad to see someone hit unfairly by the media and the politicans, FINALLY have a backbone and stand up and say he was misquoted and nothing wrong was said.

I think his standing up for himself, elevated Clark, in my mind,as a candidate for VP. However, I know now, if he is, all we'll hear about is this issue, ad nauseum, so i think he's off the table. Which is unfortunate.

POLT Listening to "42" by Coldplay

Two's company, three's a party, Bernadette, my dear! - Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

McCain gave 38 propaganda messages for the vietcong. I would have given them too in the face of torture, but it is just a side note.

Onanite

Anonymous said...

Here's what I think will happen with Obama's faith based plan. The religious will refuse the funds because they come with too many strings attached to them.

That gives Obama the option to say the plan didn't work and then funnel it into secular non-profits, which is what should have been done in the first place.

But he's trying to court the Evangelicals. They're a stupid bunch to begin with, they fell for Bush's bullshit twice.