Sunday, July 20, 2008

I'm a word pecker out of the printers...

I had a printer. It was a little HP piece of crap that took forEVER to print anything, when it decided to print at all, that is. Sometimes, it would just lock up and sit there and do nothing. And OH, how it pissed me off.

I had mentioned this to mom and told her I was thinking of getting a new one. And since I wasn't too fond of my scanner (always a drama I had to go through to scan anything...that, a prayer, several swear words, and several minutes after I started the scan, and then it always came back distorted that I had to fix....but I digress), I told her I was looking at getting one of those combo deals: printer/scanner/copier/fax things. She was all excited about that, because now that she wasn't working anymore, she didn't have access to a fax. I asked how often she needed to use a fax, if she wasn't working anymore, but she scoffed at me and told me one never knew when one would need a fax. ...okay.....

So, about a month ago, I saw in the paper Staples had this combo thingee, and with the $50 rebate, it was only $129. Okay, that I could afford. So I went and got it.

And then it sat in the box on my floor for two weeks. A bundle of energy am I.

When I finally got up the gumption to do something about it, I removed my old printer and scanner (they're still sitting in the dining room...c'mon, I didn't have THAT much gumption), took the new one out of the box, took all the packaging tape off of it, and such, and check the directions. It was then I realized I was gonna have a small issue, because included within was telephone cable to hook up the fax. And see, the issue is, I only have a cell phone, no house phone. SO, no faxing. Not that I really wanted to fax anything anyway, and when I broke the news to mom, she was pretty blase` about it too.

So i continued on, and I came to my second small issue: There was no USB cable included to plug it in to the computer. I was somewhat upset, seeing as how I had my gumption all up and all, and now I couldn't finish. But later in the week, Phoenix and I were going out to eat, so I figured we'd just go then and get something. I left the combo thingee, all the ink cartridges and cables sitting next to my computer.

Later in the week, when Phoenix got there, I explained the situation, telling him we might have to go get a cable in our travels, when a light bulb went off in my head. I suddenly realized the OLD printer had a USB cable still attached to it! Maybe that would work! And lo and behold, it did! So i had the USB cable attached to the combo thingee, and...then Phoenix and I went out for pizza. After he left that night, I looked at the combo thingee and thought about continuing the putting-together-of it...but I had lost my gumption from earlier in the week. Apparently, gumption is something like sex with me: I don't get it as often as I'd like, and it never lasts as long as I want it to. But I digress.....

Fast forward two MORE weeks, to today. I finally feel like giving it a try. But looking on through the directions, I notice there not only hardward setup but software setup, and I'm thinking I'm gonna be here all night, and probably on the phone with some tech support guy from Bagalore, India who's English is as good as my Punjabi. But no, less than a half hour later, I had printed off a letter and photo as tests, and they printed easily and quickly, and I was quite satisfied. I have to try the scanner or the copier, but that'll happen soon, I hope. In the meantime, enjoy a photo of my new combo thingee!



And as for the rebate....I've got until the end of August to find the gumption to get that stuff together and sent in.

POLT Listening to "Leave Out All The Rest" by Linkin Park

On the other hand, go screw yourself. - Sir John Gielgud, Arthur

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Almost a year ago my Epson Stylus 880 died. So I went to Staples and they had an HP C3100 inkjet scan, copy, printer for $70.

It's a decent enough printer but the ink cartridges are only 5ml. For comparison, average load of sperm is about 10-20ml. And the cartridges aren't cheap.