Wednesday, February 04, 2009

an exercise book, what did your report once say

I've got two books reviews for anyone interested.

Torchwood: Almost Perfect. I've read several of the Torchwood series books, and this one is by far, the best. It's got all the humor of an episode, but there's also an alien menace threatening, well, I guess the world. And just like Torchwood, the most unexpected things happen: Ianto turns into a woman, Gwen and Rhys go speed-dating, and Jack shags a pair of 'gods' and get stuck inside a bleeding wall. Really.

It was kinda slow going at first, as it's written in an unconventional manner: very short chapters, some nothing more than lists of things. And I couldn't immediately get a grasp on what was happening...which is kinda like a Torchwood episode too. But it all wraps up very nicely.

And as I said, the humor in it...well, there were times I honestly laughed out loud (not LOL). And many more things were giggle-worthy. It takes place after the end of season two, so those of use who've seen the series know who is involved in it, and who isn't. But they actually adress this, the situation of two of the team members is not ignored, but mentioned and somewhat dealt with. Which I didn't expect. I acually read the 300 and some page book in 4 days, just because I was so anxious to see where everything was going next.

If anyone would be interested in starting in on the Torchwood books, may I recommend this one be the first.

So Hard To Say. I read this one in about two days, but it IS youth fiction, so it shouldn't really take me long. I've enjoyed Alex Sanchez's other books, that's what made me pick this one up. This is about a 12 year old white kid moving to a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, making friends, getting a girlfriend and realizing he's gay. It's told from the point of view of Frederick, and his girlfirend Xio (pronounced C.O.). It's all about coming to terms with being gay, and acceptance of those different from you. And it's told in an entertaining way. It would be perfect for an early teen to read. I wish books like this would have been available when i was a teenager...although if I'd had the nerve to buy and actually read a book dealing with anything gay is a still a question in my mind.

It was still a cute and fun read. And I imagine it could easily be made into a play or movie, without too many changes to the book as written. Anyway, it's a bit of fluff, and a pleasant story, not too havey with drama or angst or things like that. And should someone be interested in those kind of stories, this would be a great one to read.

POLT Listening to "History Repeating" by The Propellorheads

"Don't kill unless necessary! Disable only!" "Why? Killing disables them, no?" - Plastique, Suicide Squad #6

1 comment:

Tam said...

I really have to start on a Torchwood book. I will put this one down as first for me.

Speaking of gay teens, someone on-line today recommended the movie "Were The World Mine". It billed as a gay teen romantic comedy. Independent though so not many people will likely get to see it. I see it was at the gay film festival here in the fall so I missed it but I think it was rated PG so would be good for young people to see. If it comes back I'll take my daughter.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0476991/