Monday, February 23, 2009

It's time to play the game, time to play...

This past Saturday night, my buddy Ryan stopped by and we played some D&D.


Yes, in addition to being a comic book geek, and Star Trek geek, I am also a D&D geek. From way back. We started playing when I was in 8th grade (that would be roughly 1982, for those bad with subtraction). I think there were about 7 or 8 of us in the that first group. We played at my house, which is usually where everyone hung out when I was younger (no brothers or sisters to get in the way, Mama Polt making great snacks for us, and we had a largish room we could play in). God those were the days. I can remember fighting three red dragons at once...and winning. I can remember out cleric imploring his god for help and the god appeared in person and answered (to a 3rd level cleric)...ah, the folly of youth.

This was the first time I had played since October of 2007, and the first time I had run a game since like 2002. It's the first time Ryan had played since like 1998, when he was 15 (so yes, again, for those with trouble with subtraction, I was playing the game before Ryan was born. Get your giggles out now, ALMDPP, we'll wait).

It was actually quite a bit of fun, relaxing and it took my mind off of a lot of things. Immersing myself in a good book or a fun game of D&D is a sure-fire way to forget about your problems. The best part is, apparently, he had a good time too. He wants to play again. Now we just need to find a time when his wife will let him.

POLT Listening to "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel Oil: 37.97 (-1.83); Gas: 1.89 (-.02)

Council listens to local people on public toilets. - Newspaper headline

5 comments:

Stephen R. said...

If we lived in the same city, we would be D&Ding so often. I haven't played since the late 80's, but I would love to! Glad you had fun!

Anonymous said...

I never got into D&D I was always at the bar.

Onanite

Anonymous said...

I haven't played since teaching my nephew in the early 90's. We keep hoping to play, but never seem to have the time.

Bunny said...

I saw a bumper sticker this weekend that said "I played D&D before it was cool." I honestly lol'd

Tam said...

I've never played and don't get it. I think I was too busy drinking too.