Monday, February 02, 2009

Milkman would deliver my milk, in the morning...

This past Saturday evening, after work, I had a dinner/movie date with my friend Michelle and A Local Celebrity Mr. David ParisPeking!



I left work, went to ALCMDPP's house for about a half hour. After having two of his three daughers cough all over me, we picked up Michelle and then ate at a new restaurant in town, The Green Turtle. We had good food, interesting conversation, and a waiter, Nick, who was cute and had unusually large hands for the size of this body. Which intrigued me, but after the three of us talked to him a bit, we all came to the conclusion he was a breeder, and since I had plans afterwards and didn't have the time to devote to converting him appropriately, I just didn't even try.



Milk was an incredible movie. Before we go any further, I will say I am not unbiased in my opinions of this. Stonewall, and Harvey Milk are early parts of my people's history. So I was very involved in this story. But both Michelle and ALCMDPP (despite his dislike of Sean Penn) both agreed it was a pretty good film as well.

I'm not really a fan of Sean Penn, but my GOD, he WAS Harvey Milk. He had the accent, the speech, the mannerisms, everything. And how lucky is Sean Penn that he gets to get naked and kiss passionately both James Franco AND Deigo Luna???

I even shed a few tears. When he speaks of teenagers calling him, from Altoona and Minnesota, and saying how the want to kill themselves, or thanking him for all he's doing, well, that got me misty eyed. Harvey did it for me too, even though he never knew I was alive, and that I knew nothing about him until well after he was dead. He was a pioneer for my people.

I've seen documentaries on Harvey Milk before, and this film seems a rather accurate representation of his life. But, what with Prop 8 passing last year, its a story that, unfortunately, needs to be told again.

I don't know if it's the Best Picture of the year, I haven't seen Slumdog yet. But I'm certain I'll be rooting for Milk, just because. I'm conflicted about Best Actor...I don't know who was better: Penn as Milk or Langella as Nixon. Again, I'll probably root for Penn, for sentimental reasons, but I wouldn't be upset if Langella won.

Regardless of who wins how many awards, I can't recommend this movie enough. Just because it's something everyone should see. It shows what life was like in the 70's for gay men. And, despite how bad we sometimes think we have it now, how far we've come. But also, how far we have yet to go.

POLT Listening to "99 Red Balloons" by Nena

Good luck. And no blowing any tromboners, yeah? - Chris, Skins

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Milk" followed Randy Shilts' "The Mayor of Castro Street" to the letter.

I read the book a week before I saw the movie, dead on.

I remember when he was elected and that sad day in 1978. I was only 14 years old when he was shot and killed.

And of course I'm a bit of an activist myself. Go figure.