Friday, February 06, 2009

Tell me, tell me, how to be a millionaire...

Yesterday, after dropping Miss Cleo at the mechanic's (again), and going to eat, mom and I saw Slumdog Millionaire.


We both enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a pretty good film. but frankly, I'm unsure where all this hype is coming from. Oscar-worthy? Not in my opinion. I just don't see what all the bother is about.

Good movie, absolutely. Good acting, interesting story, with plenty of twists and turns. The young Indian kids especially were incredible. I did, as I said, overall enjoy it. But I just don't think it was 'all that'. Anyone considering seeing it should definitely go see it, I'm sure they'll enjoy it. But from what I heard prior to going, I was extremely underwhelmed.

I suppose I'm just not seeing what everone else is. Which really isn't all that unusual for me.

Oh, and I almost forgot, there was a group of 4 guys about 20 years old sitting to the left of us. When the movies ends, if you've seen it, you know there's a big "Bollywood" type dance scene as the credits roll. Well everyone had left except for those guys and us. And mom had to go to the bathroom, so she left. The guys and myself were all standing just watching the credits. And suddenly, one of them in the row in front starts dancing along. Then the two in the same row as me did too. And then i thought what the hell, and danced too. Finally the last guy up front started. And we were all laughing hysterically, trying to keep pace and do the steps. When it ended, we all filed out, still laughing. The last one held the door for me, and I thanked and he wished me a good night, and I wished them all a good night, at which time two other said it back. They went to the right, towards the bathroom, but I had to go left, towards the exit to meet up with mom.

That was, I'm pretty sure, the most fun I've had in a movie theater that didn't involved touching another person.

POLT Listening to "I Ran" by A Flock Of Seagulls

The government shouldn't be involved in this because it's very simple. If you don't believe in same-sex marriage, they don't marry someone of the same sex. - Wanda Sikes

4 comments:

Tam said...

That sounds like more fun than the movie. You have probably heard so much hype that it was impossible for the movie to live up to that. Better to have low expectations and be blown away.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree. I loved the movie and thought the performances were impressive, but I definitely don't feel like it is Oscar worthy as best picture.

The credits were so much fun, I wish people danced when we saw it, I totally would have joined in.

Stephen R. said...

"That was, I'm pretty sure, the most fun I've had in a movie theater that didn't involved touching another person."

I love that!!! I'm hoping to see SLUMDOG tomorrow. Hopefully, I'll get to dance with some boys as the credits roll, too!

tornwordo said...

But wait! What movie was better? On the one hand you pooh-pooh it and then you DANCED in the theatre at the end. When else has a film done that for you? I loved Milk too, so I wouldn't mind if that won. If Benjamin Button wins, I'm not going to pay attention to the Oscars anymore.