Tuesday, February 24, 2009

You and me, remembering how it use to be...

This afternoon, I attended the memorial service for my friend AJ. Much to my surprise, they had an open casket. He looked really good, considered the way he looked in the hospital last week, but he still didn't look like himself.

AJ had been staying with these guys Bob and Don. They were there and I sat with them, as I knew very little of the family or the people there for them. And they said I should come back to the house afterwards, which I did.

I wasn't sure if I'd be able to be in the house where he shot himself. But I made it in okay. And then I asked where he did it, and they showed me the living room where it was done. I felt a little physically ill at first, but as I stood there, I just a said a short little prayer, and it went away.

I was there from roughly 3 until 7:30. We talked. We shared stories about AJ. We shared memories of him. We had a few drinks, and laughed and just WERE with each other. Comisserating. And I'm so glad we did it. I found out so many things I didn't know about AJ, so many funny tales. And I think I've found two new friends in Bob and Don.

I still miss AJ, but today, while starting sad, at least ended in a pleasant fashion. I'd like to think AJ was somewhere watching, and smiling and laughing along with us.

POLT Listening to Obama's address to Congress

I'd trust you with my life...if, ya know, I still had one. - Eugene, Torchwood

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Polt.

lime said...

oh that sort of thing is so difficult but i am glad you were able to get through it and feel as if there was a good gain even.

Tam said...

I'm so glad you were able to share some wonderful memories of your friend. That really does help. Hugs to you as you continue to cope with the loss of a special person in your life.

Anonymous said...

I feel incredibly bad that this happened and I have no clue what to say, but I am happy that you were able to reflect on the good times with loved ones.