Thursday, February 19, 2009

really gone from bad to worse with them...

I was still feeling a bit crappy today, but went to work anyway. Crappy and exhausted. But I made it there, thinking, okay this day sucks, but it can't get any worse.

Oh how wrong I was.

It was barely 8:00 when I got a call. It was from the guy I kinda know named Bob. It was at his house that my friend AJ (I've posted about him before) was staying. Yesterday morning, AJ took a rifle, put it to his chin, and pulled the trigger.

Yeah...

He wasn't dead, but they didn't expect him to make it. And if he did, he'd be a vegetable. Well, I told my boss and my coworkers what was going on, and that I was gonna go to the hospital over lunch to see him. But as i sat there, staring at my desk, I realized how wrong it was for me to wait. So I just told them all I was leaving then and I'd be back soon.

I won't go into graphic detail about it, but its all pretty messed up...obviously. I just can't believe it. He wasn't a prince or a saint, he had issues. And some of the holes he had dug were pretty deep. And he had very little family support, so there was no way it was going to be an easy climb out of the holes. But, I can't believe he'd resort to something like this.

I was only there less than an hour, talking to the family. I did get to see him twice. Both times i held his hand, thankfully he was still warm, still alive. I mean, I know what made him AJ was long gone by then, but at least he was still technically alive, so I could say goodbye to him.

His aunt said that's basically all they were waiting on, was for everyone to say their goodbyes. The doctors were going to reevaluate him later in the morning and then, if there was no change, the family was probably going to take him off life support. Which is really for the best, the condition he was in.

I haven't heard anything yet, but I assume its over. Bob is going by after work, I'll call him tonight to get details. I gave my info to AJ's aunt to call me when they make...the arrangements.

I'm just glad I got to tell him goodbye, hold his hand...I kissed my fingers and put them on his hand...I don't know if he felt it or not, but I like to think maybe be did.

I never posted his photo, only his icon. What can it hurt to post it now?



My beautiful, funny, fun, loving, sweet, misguided friend AJ.....

And I've learned to NEVER assume things can't get any worse.

UPDATE: They removed the life support earlier today, and he continued breathing on his own. I've been told this could on for days, weeks, months, or even indefinitely. God, the thought of that, of him in limbo like that, is almost worse than if he had just passed...

UPDATE: About 7:45 pm, AJ stopped breathing and died. God rest his soul.

POLT

17 comments:

Stephen R. said...

I'm so sorry. You, AJ and his family are in my thoughts and my prayers. If you need to talk or if I can do anything at all, please let me know.

Much love.

Tam said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. Its great you got to say good-bye but so sad to see someone make that choice. Mojo to you and all of his family and friends as you deal with this tragedy.

jimm said...

I'm so sorry for you all. I wish there was a way to end these kinds of tragedy.

jimm

Eternal Lizdom said...

I am so, so sorry.

He felt it. The kiss from you. He felt it.

Anonymous said...

Oh Polt, I am so, so sorry. I am, unfortunately, familiar with this kind of loss. It is such a difficult event with which to come to terms. I hope with time the pain, confusion and anger will pass and that the positive memories take their place.

AJ's family and friends will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Michelle M. said...

How horrible. I'm so sorry for you, your friend and his family. Please know that I'm thinking of you and sending you love...

F6's Editor said...

You have my absolute unwavering condolences and prayers. Be greatful that you got to say goodbye and trust that he is in a safer place where he can find the peace he was looking for.

This happens way to often in the lives of GLBT Young Adults. My prayers are with you. Dont judge yourself this was his time to accept love in the midst of absolute despair and hopefully with everyone around him he did just that.

Peace Be With You May Everyone Find Comfort & Consolation

MRev. Kenneth White, Jnr.

Polt said...

everyone thanks for you condolences. Its still not real to me yet.

And I just wanted to clear something up, AJ wasn't gay. He was straight, with a son. not that really changes anything about this story, I just wanted to make sure there wasnt any confusion.

HUGS...

Craig said...

I'm really sorry to hear about this Polt. We're all here for you.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this Polt. It's always hard when people commit suicide.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Call if you need to talk.

lime said...

i am so sorry to hear it. hugs to you and prayers for the comfort of all his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

Polt, I'm so sorry about your friend. I lost a good friend to suicide a little over a year ago. The questions don't go away, all we can do is pray for their peace. Luv Ya, Hang in there!

hoteltuesday said...

Sorry to hear about this. I can't imagine what this is like for you, but know you're in my thoughts.
HUGS...

Anonymous said...

Damn...that was hard to read. You are a good man, Polt. I hope you're doing ok.

tornwordo said...

Such sad news. Another life gone too soon. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Oh how very sad. When I was a teenager I put my dads gun in my mouth, I was going to do "it" but I was too afraid. Now as an adult I am sure glad I didn't. Life has it's ups and downs. It is just so sad when in a down someone kills himself. Good bye AJ, You will be missed bye many people I am sure.

Onanite