Tuesday, February 10, 2009

In boxes near abandoned electronics...

On the way home from work, Mama Polt called me.



It seems that she was out again spending my inheritance. She bought herself a DVD/VCR combo. She also bought herself another flatscreen, although this was was smaller than the one in the living room. She wanted to second one for the dresser in her bedroom, the one there now was too wide.

Anyway, she called me asking about hooking up the DVD/VCR. I told her I hadn't hooked up my own, that I had called Ghostie, played that I was stupid, little, electronically inadequate gay boy (totally not true, I'm just basically lazy), and that I needed the help of the big, strong, masculine manly-man who knew his was around an electronic component, like him (which is kinda true). Well I didn't actually TELL Mama Polt the last bit, but I did tell her Ghostie hooked mine up. Still I said I'd stop by her place before I went home and try to help her.




Oh yeah, it was truly the blind leading the blind. I ended up calling Ghostie and having him talk us a bit of the way through it. It was actually rather easy, although it was the cable box that was throwing me off...even though we ended up not having to deal with the cable box at all.

In truth, it took us longer to figure out how to use the new remote, in conjuction with the cable remote, to get back and forth to the DVD/VCR player and learn our way around the buttons on the remote.

I now have an idea what the movie studios must have been feeling when that new-fangled thing called TV was coming into vogue: obsolete. But at least, Mama Polt can now watch Mamma Mia! at her leisure, and in the end, that's all that matters.

POLT Listening to "Doctor Doctor" by the Thompson Twins

I've got really long arms, I'm proportioned like an ape. - Konrad, cute British twinkie boy friend of mine

3 comments:

Tam said...

I got one of those combo things a couple of years ago. I had to call my cable company to walk me through the hook-up and two years later I still can't figure out how to set it to tape anything on the TV unless I'm watching it and push "record" at the same time. I'm pretty useless with that stuff although I can generally fix most photocopiers and printers that are jammed and won't work. We all have our skill sets I guess.

You're a good son for trying. :-)

Anonymous said...

I could probably make a killing with this DTV transition. There are lots of clueless people out there. Just stock up on connectors, I already have the tools.

Maybe I will.

That said, I just ordered a Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick USB 2.0 TV Tuner (801e). It's a USB stick that has a USB plug on one end and a CATV F connector on the other. Comes with antenna, etc. and you can pull SD, HD and even FM signals with it and watch/listen right on the computer.

Considering this laptop does native 720P I can't really complain.

Got the Pinnacle off buy.com for $39.99.

Anonymous said...

You're right Truthspew, you could have a whole second career. Lots of people just cannot get it.

Onanite