Thursday, April 02, 2009

I always find my romance in the emergency room...

Yeah, so I just finished watching the series finale of ER. It made me remember why I used to watch ER.


I saw the first episode, but thought it was too confusing and didn't watch the next couple. But because of the good things I was hearing about it, I started watching it again, and watched for years. I lost interest about the time Carter and the Croatian guy were in Africa. I totally lost interest in the series then, and haven't really watched it since.

But it used to be one of the highlights of the week for me. And I remember discussing it with friend's Fridays at work. I have memories of watching it with friends, watching it in Bradford PA on our trips to Toronto when we spend the night there on the way up, at Rehobeth Beach one September night when I was down there with my friend Mark. When the show started, the job I have now didn't even exist. I was still living at home. I hadn't even met the vast majority of the friends I now have. I had a primative computer, but no Internet. And I'm pretty damn sure the word "blog" had yet to be uttered by anyone.

I remember so many characters and storylines. I knew they'd try to pull the heartstrings, and i was okay, until the AIDS guy talked about all the friends they had lost in the 80's, and then I teared up. Did so again when the old Manning fellow was in bed with his dead wife. Who knew Ernest Borgnine could make me so emotional? And is there anyone who didn't think Sam's cute son Alex wouldn't generate some emotion as well? Speaking of kids, who great was it to see Rachel all grown, and Reese now a teenager! My God, I remember that kid when he was in diapers!

Oh well, all good things and all that. At least they ended it well, with an emergency rolling in and the whole crew assembled to do triage. Life does indeed go on.

POLT Listening to "Daniel" by Elton John

Most teachers have to stay after school and aren't paid anything fo doing it. Isn't that how we punish the bad students? - Dave Dunseath

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to watch it and totally forgot it was tonight. Damn!

lime said...

it was a worthy finale for sure.