Sunday, January 24, 2010

Men reading fashion magazines, oh...

I love to read. This should come as noe surprise to anyone who reads this blog. I've been a reader for as long as I can remember.

I was buying comic books when I was 7 years old with my allowance. I remember being younger than that and over the summer, mom would walk with me down to the local library and we'd check out a book or two and bring them home and I'd read them in a week and then we'd go next week and get some more. Hell, I remember being really small and not yet able to read really good myself, and when we'd get back from church and eat lunch, mom would sit me on her lap and read the Sunday funnies to me. I also remember her sometimes starting to drfit off to sleep while doing so and having to nudge her to wake her up to keep reading to me.

My mom never really had time to read, although now that she's retired, she does read a lot more, maybe four or five books a year. My dad never read anything other than the local paper each afternoon. I bought him a book about the Baltimore Orioles (it was his favorite team) one year for Christmas and another year I bought him a book by Hulk Hogan (he loved "rasslin"), but I never saw him crack either book open. My dad's mom read voraciously. She'd go through a book from the library a day when she was older. My mom's mom only ever read the National Enquirer while standing in the grocery line.

Not only do I read comic books, but I read novels and fiction as well. Historical books, scifi, superhero, gay storylines, Star Trek, mideval fantasy...those are my favorite type of books to read.

Do you read? And if so, how much? And what topics interest you?

POLT Listening to the Jets-Colts football game

The only people who love a war are those who have never fought in one. - Major Quigley, Breakthroughs: The Great War

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I read, a hell of a lot actually. I follow about 100 blogs via RSS, I just finished reading the Ultimate Hitchhikers Guide (Has five of the books plus a little short book, about 815 pages)

Right now I'm reading "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency". After that I'll read "The Long, Dark Tea Time of The Soul" and I have the "Art of Electronics" on hold at the library

Just finished reading the latest issue of Make: magazine too. So yes, you could say I'm a prodigious reader.

I like good sci-fi, historical, analytical (sociological, anthropological) and political books too.

Tam said...

I read like mad. I used to read library books but the I discovered e-books and now I spend my money here. I discovered short stories through e-books and love reading everything from little 10 pages slice of life things to 60 pages of more comprehensive stuff.

I didn't count last year, this year I can keep track but I probably read 450 books including the shorts, if you count novel length books then probably a couple of hundred. This weekend I read 520 pdf pages. That's a pretty normal weekend for me of reading and probably at least that many during the week. Plus stuff I read on-line and paper books.

I can't imagine not reading something.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I don't think I could find 400+ books that would fit my tastes. I'd say I read about 150 a year give or take.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Star Trek...I bought it in Blu-Ray and watched it last night! Can't wait to go through all the extra stuff.

Michelle M. said...

I looove to read! I prefer fiction and will read almost anything (I'm not a fan of anything in the Western or War genre, though).
I'm at the library all the time and read at least 4 books a week. I'd read more, but I also loooove to watch tv.

hoteltuesday said...

I LOVE TO READ.
I love such a wide variety of stuff. Love Austen, Bronte, and older stuff while I am also very aware of the current trends in lit. Love modernist fiction. Some of my fave writers are John Irving, Faulkner, Toni Morrison, Amy Tan. I also am interested in African-American lit (Zora Neale Hurston writes such beautiful prose) though I need to read more of it! Last book I read was Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides which was phenomenal. And I also love poetry, especially Anne Sexton and Catie Rosemurgy.