Wednesday, January 27, 2010

We were greek gods, we were singled out by fate...

Earlier in the week, my mom's sister's husband's mother died. She was 97. And unfortunately, I don't know her name. I always called her what they always called her: Yaya.

She and her husband emigrated from Greece sometime prior to WWII. They settled here, he eventually opened a laundramat in town and operated until he retired in the 1980's. I remember both of them, he with his white tight wavy hair, she small with dark-as-night ebony hair. Even into old age. He spoke passable Engligh, she less so. Her kids could understand her well enough, her grandkids and the rest of us not so much.

When my cousin got married ten years ago, or so, I was an usher in his wedding, along with another cousin of mine and the bride's brother. When Yaya came in with her daughter and family, neither one of the other ushers wanted to take her to her seat because she was so small and fragile, they were afraid they'd break her. So I took her arm and put it in mine and led her out into the church. Here I was, 6'1", nearly 300 lbs (at that time), leading this lady who was perhaps 4'9" tall and might have weighed 90 lbs with her pockets stuffed full of lead.

And as we're walking, she's chattering away. I have no idea what she was saying, but I kept nodding and saying, "Yeah, Yaya. Sure Yaya. It's just a little further, Yaya." I did understand one full sentence. In heavily accented English she said, "Maybe you be soon too, Kreeees?" Which i took to mean maybe I'd be married soon too. I just nodded and said, "I'm sure, Yaya."

My mom and aunt and cousins still laugh about that whole scene. And it's my fondest memory of Yaya, God rest her soul.

POLT Listening to "The Beach" by New Order

A song and a snack can turn any moment into an occasion! - Emmett, Queer As Folk

4 comments:

Tam said...

What a sweet memory. My condolences to everyone who loved Yaya.

lime said...

aww, i'm sorry for the loss but thanks for sharing a sweetly ironic memory that makes you smile. may she rest in peace.

FunWithGrindr said...

That's an awesome story!

When my great aunt Edna passed a away some years ago, I remember laughing and having such a fun time at her funeral -- telling stories about her and what a funny, cantankerous person she was. I so hope my funeral is that way -- not a mourning of death, but a celebration of life.

hoteltuesday said...

I just read a book about a Greek family and they called their grandma Yia Yia!!! I guess people do this in real life too.
Sorry to hear about the real yia yia passing.