Sunday, January 17, 2010

The way things are going, they're gonna crucify me...

I was reminded recently of just how awesome teh Interwebs actually are. Since the fall, when I'm online, either at work or here at home, I'm using listening to AOL Radio. They've got all these nifty individual channels that play specific music.

At this particular time, I had the Shuffle Channel on, which is, obviously, the channel where they don't have a genre, they just play a different song each time. So I had just heard "Unbelievable" by EMF and that was followed by "The Ballad Of John and Yoko" by John Lennon.

When I heard"Unbelievable" it brought back the memory of listening to it back in 1991, and not knowing what some of the lyrics were ("Your purple prose just gives you away"...what the HELL?) and my friends from England were visiting. So when they returned home, they sent me a letter with the lyrics included.

Contrast this with today: If one doesn't know the lyrics to a song, there's multiple websites one can get them from. And a letter! Who rights letters anymore in the age of emails?

And "The Ballad Of John And Yoko" took me back to roughly the same time period when a friend of mine and I were arguing if there was even a song called this. I was pretty sure i had heard the title at some point, but he was insisting there would never be anything as stupidly titled at that. So what was our solution? We called the local rock radio station, got the DJ and asked him (thankfully NOT on air) if there was such a song.

Contrast that with today: In less time than it takes me to type this sentence, I went to youtube and found a video of it.

Oh what did we do in the Dark Ages aka pre-Internet days?

POLT Listening to "Unbelievable" by EMF

It's hard to feel courageous in loose-fitting, drowsy-bear pajamas. - Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have set policies at places I've worked that there was to be no audio or video streaming. It kills bandwidth.

That said from home I use Pandora. I love it, tell it what you like and it finds things that I like.

Anonymous said...

I have set policies at places I've worked that there was to be no audio or video streaming. It kills bandwidth.

That said from home I use Pandora. I love it, tell it what you like and it finds things that I like.

Tam said...

Remember things called encyclopedias and libraries? Ahhh, those were the days. I sometimes wonder how I did function. I'd be lost now. I'm always slightly comfused when the yellow pages shows up on my doorstep (like Friday). WTF for? I have the internet.

Mark said...

I live with my brother who is a little bit "slow". He has a computer and a cell phone, and knows how to use them. But every few months I'll get a $6.00 charge on my cell phone bill for a 411 call. I remind him that he can find a listed number on the internet and he says "Oh yeah, I'm Sorry." I can't fuss because I know he can't help it, but Agggh! Oh and in the dark ages before I-net, I actually had to go in a bookstore and buy mags with pics of naked guys from someones Granny who was working the register. As embarassed as i was I still did it. I Love the internet!

hoteltuesday said...

What is this stuff?? John Lennon? Do you mean John LEGEND? These peeps are probz 1,000 years old by now!