Wednesday, October 21, 2009

I love the nightlife, the crazy nightlife, in the disco light...

So, as you probably heard somewheres, this weekend, I had an awesome vacation in New York City! The highlight, in fact the whole reason for being there, was to partake in the first annual Puntabulous Puntabupeople Puntabumeeting!

For those that don't know that background, over at Puntabulous, there's a number of regular and very funny, witty, and cool commenters there, a number of which live in the New York City area. Several of them have met up, but one of them, Sassy josh, was all sadcopterz (for serial) cause he wasn't meeting any of them. So his friend, Enrickyricardo, who had met several others, put out a feeler to a group of the others to see if they wanted to get together. One of these, FDot, called me and said since I live not too far away, would I want to come up? I don't know if it was he or I that thought of not telling the others and surprising them, but it was a great idea. And I knew that Dave S., was planning on visiting me now that I had my own house, so we managed to finagle it so that the Puntabumeeting was the same weekend that Dave S. would be coming to my house. And just as an aside, the others involved were Jere, Chris D, David, and the blogless, but twittering Kari.

We were all meeting at a karaoke bar. Yeah, I know, that was my thought too. I never sing outside of my car, when I'm alone. I feared it would be the group of us sitting in a room while three or four of us repeatedly sang into a microphone, songs that I had never heard before. I could NOT have been more wrong.

When Dave S., FDot and I got there, we saw Craiggers and Jere inside in the lobby, but since we wanted to surprise them, we hurriedly got out of sight. Dave S. and I hung out outside while FDot went inside. After a short bit, he texted me and told us they were in room 14.

FDot met us in the hallway, and told us not everyone was there yet. But we decided to go in. Only Jere, Kari, and Craiggers were there. Tim went in first, then me and Dave S. As we started in, I saw Craiggers go, "hey" like he was casually greeting someone coming in, and then he saw it was us and got this big smile and said, "Oh...my...God..." And then the hey's and hi's were exchanged, along with hugs and smiles!

And shortly there after, Chris D, David, and then the boys, joshrico, showed last, having gotten lost, or assualted or mugged or dragged to hell by demon hands, who knows?

And the songs we sang, did we sing songs? I don't remember all of them, maybe someone else will post a more comprehensive list, but I remember singing "Dont' Stop Believin", "Love Shack", some Miley Cyrus song with "st-st-stuttered" in it, as well as a duet with Enrickyricardo wherein we sang Fleetwood Mac's "Sara". He chose it specifically for us to sing together, knowing our shared love of all things Fleetwood Mac. Enrickyricardo, Sassy josh, Kari, David, Craiggers, Chris D., and possibly Jere (not sure) all sang solos. I'll say that not all of them were at the same level, but I will also add they still have bigger cajones than I do, cause I in NO way was gonna sing a solo! Apparently everyone thought I was quite a bit taller than they expected, who knew? And Jere, David, Enrickyricardo and Sassy josh sang the Lady Marmalade song from a few years ago, and we were all blessed with listening Jere do an awesome job channelling Lil Kim during her rapping part in the song. Also, sometime during the night, I knocked a glass off the table and it shattered, but the less said about that the better.

Dave S. and I had gotten Craiggers a few gifts, after all, it was all because of him that we were even there. We got him two pairs of argyle boxerbriefs, a pair of rainbowish argyle socks, a desk calendar of The Far Side-esque cartoons called "The Argyle Sweater" and a pair of boxers which we thought read "I [heart] beeF"! That would have been immensely funny and so appropo. Unfortunately, they said, "I [heart] beeR!", which wasn't anywhere NEAR as funny. Well it was kinda funny when we revealed what we THOUGHT they said, but that was funny cause were idiots and didn't see what it really read! I can say I was distracted by the future gay, goth boy Grant who was our cashier, but I don't know what Dave S.'s excuse is.

Anyways, after our roughly two hours spent in the karoke bar, we trapsed our way through the streets of Manhattan following David to this diner he knew. They couldn't accomodate 10 hungry queens at one table, so we had to split into three booths, order our food, talk amongst ourselves, and over the seats to each other and get to know each other.

After this, Kari, unfortunately, had to leave. But the rest of us went, David again in the lead, onto the subway (Dave S.'s first time on the NY subway system, my first time in 30 years) (and thanks again to Chris D. who was so sweet to spend his own cash to get a card for us! The card is in the mail on it's way back to even as we speak Chris, thanks again!) and ride it across the island and down to I THINK Chelsea or the West Village, but what do I know about NYC neighborhoods? After all, both of them probably have a larger population than the rural Pennsylvania town I live in.

Anyways, we went to an Asian bar/restaurant thingee, which kinda surprised me cause I thought we were going to a piano bar, but whatever. Like I'm gonna be upset when there's tons of cute Asian waiters wandering around and a non-Asian but extremely well built bartender in a tight shirt there as well. And to my credit, I think I only zoned out watching the help twice.

So they managed to seat us at table pushed together so we could all talk to each other more or less. And I'm not sure how long we were there, nor exactly how many beers I had, no actually what too much of the conversation was about, cause it was all just so much awesomeness going on around me I was kinda floating on air. I DO remember there was some conversation about what is sex (which we shall NOT get involved in again), Sassy josh stating he doesnt' have sex with anyone unless he loves them forever, to which I laughed out loud and said I don't even need to know someone's name to have sex with them, to which Craiggers retorted, "Toronto! That's all I'm sayin!", and I reinforced that I don't even know if every one I've had sex with spoke English, like that even matters! I'm kinda hoping that's the only time my totaly wanton whoreiness bubbled through the surface, but if not, I'm sure someone else will let me know.

After being there until like 12:15 or so, we left, said sad goodbyes (or in the venacular of joshspeak: "thatmadeusallcryandthenwewerealldraggedtohellI'mtotallyserialz!") and went by cab, subway, train, car or foot to our respective sleeping areas.

All in all, I must admit that this was clearly THE best Saturday night I have had in many, many a year! I can only think of times outside in the country (Toronto & in Europe) that might possibly exceed it.

Not only was it incredible actually meeting, talking to, hugging, and joking with all these people I've know, some, like Craiggers, going on 4 years now, but each and everyone of them was what I expected! Some to a lesser or greater degree, but everyone was just what I thought they'd be like. And that's a good thing, cause all of them were witty, hilarious, interesting, and just plain nice! And really, whoever would have thought you'd be able to get 8 New Yorkers together and have them ALL be super cool!

The rest of our trip, I'll put in another post sometime later this week, but as I said this was definitely the highlight. And several of us are putting up posts about our take on the night, so if you click on some of the links above, you may find a description of the night from someone else's perspective. And even though I've emailed them all seperately a thanks, I want to publicly thank Chris D, Jere, Enrickyricardo, Sassy josh, Kari, Craiggers, FDot, David and Dave S., for the absolutely best time I could ever have had!

And now, what you've all been waiting for, PHOTOS! (most of these are already posted on Facebook, so if you're Facebook friend [and if you aren't, why the hell aren't you?], so you have already seen many of these, but not all)


On the way to the Karaoke place, I made Dave S. carry the purple bag with the dancing monkey wrapping papered gifts, so he attached it somehow to his jacket. This photo just makes me laugh.


Dave S. and I were both excited, nervous and anxious standing outside waiting for FDot to tell us to come in. This is me being nervous. What you can't see is how I was kinda jumping up and dance doing a little jig of nervous energy.


Okay, let me say at first, I didn't have the flash turned on, thus the dark first couple of photos. And secondly, I'm just gonna go with the story that I was still filled with nervous energy and that's why early photos are all blurry: my hands were shaking. Yeah, that's the ticket....


Jere, darkened, blurry, but smilin.


Kari and Craiggers, not the only ones there that were hotter than me, but definitely the only ones taller than me.


Kari, Craiggers and FDot watching thing stupid anime-like movie that the tv played by default when there weren't song lyrics being played. Thank GOD we soon kept playing songs and NOT having to watch it.


Dave S. and I taking photos of one another cause we ARE that cool.


FDot and me, still not having figured out about the flash or steadiness thingees.


Me and Jere, having apparently figured out both. This was when I decided I was going to take a self portrait of myself with each person there. However, this and the one before it were basically the only ones I'd get under that plan.


Craiggers and Dave S having their photo taken by someone. Did I get their best sides?


I think Dave S. took this photo for me. I'm still surprised that some people were surprised at my height, but as you can see Craiggers has a few inches on me (possibly not only in height either, from what I hear...)


Chris D., Dave S., and Jere obviously not singing.


Chris D, Dave S., and Jere in the flash glare.


The kids. Enrickyricardo (looking entertained by something), Sassy josh (looking kinda devious) and Kari (looking amused at the other two).


Dave S.'s hair. I didn't intentionally get a photo of just it, but hey, it's good hair. Why not give it it's own photo?


Dave S. laid back.


Kari, who's eyes weren't really this Satanically red. And who has pretty damn nice hair as well.


Enrickyricardo, paging through the song book looking up appropriate tunes. And who has nice facial hair.


Sassy josh and Kari. Sassy josh, by the way, has possibly the best hair because he wore David's knit cap a few times, and upon taking it off, he simply ran his hand through his hair once and it was perfect. When I take off a knit cap, my hair looks like I've been a hostage for several months and not been allowed to wash my hair the entire time: it just goes all kinds of directions. And not in a good 'just woke up' kinda way either. the total opposite of Sassy josh's. I hate him. And then I cried and was dragged to hell.


Kari, David and Craiggers watching something on the screen. From their expressions I don't think they all hold the same opinion of it.


Craiggers in his I [heart] beer (dammit) boxers...with a helping hand from David. Which frankly upset me, cause I was the one who found those boxers, it shoulda been MY hand in there!


Craiggers, still in the boxers, in the Captain Morgan stance. And with possibly a pirate glare on his face. Or maybe he was just a 'lil bit TIPsy', who can tell?


Chris D singing his solo chosen just for him byt joshrico. I don't know what it was, but God bless him, he sang it like a trooper! Much much braver than I am!


This is Enrickyricardo and I singing our "Sara" duet. It was apparently an extended remix version, cause it seemed longer than the album/radio version I'm used to. And he too seemed surprised by it's length (that's what she said...ba-dum-DUM!) I was very nervous when joshrico informed me I'd be doing a duet on a song they had picked out just for me and Enrickyricardo. But when I saw it was "Sara" I knew all was right with the world. Enrickyricardo and I share a healthy obsession with all things Fleetwood Mac and Stevie!


But, as I said, the song went on forEVER...........


Here was have a beautiful, Icelandic song goddess doing her thing, and I ain't talking about Bjork. And her sexy backup dancer has all the right moves, doesn't she?


joshrico talking amongst themselves while everyone else just sits there....boggles the mind that would happen, doesn't it?


Chris D videoed the whole thing! Can't wait to see that!


Craiggers is singing something, to the obvious enjoyment of Sassy josh and Kari. And more than likely the rest of us as well!


Ah, the Lady Marmalade girls! Damn fine job they did.


Jere's on the mark version of Lil Kim's rap was impressive!


Dave S. took a photo of Sassy josh and I near the end of our time at the Karaoke place.


We managed to get the bouncer to take a group photo of us. Turned out pretty damn awesome, I'd say!


At the diner, I was giving a purple straw!!!!


While walking once, my camera accidently went off. Look, it's my story, I can tell it anyway I want to.


Oops, well apparently, it happened more than once...who knew?


I found something funny on the subway.


At the Asian place we went, there was this chair suspended from the ceiling, so of course, Dave S. took a seat in it.


Craiggers totally engrossed in some topic of conversation.


Hehehehe....expressions can be funny.


or....not so funny. I hope Jere certainly wasn't as irritated as he looks here.

So that's the photos from that night. More NYC trip posts coming soon!

POLT Listening to "New Year's Day" by U2

Great money does not a great human make. - Moll Flanders

8 comments:

Craig said...

Yay! Such a great post! I can't believe you guys saw me and Jere hanging out in the lobby and hid away! That's so funny!

dpaste said...

Great post, so many details I forgot to put into my recap or didn't know about: glass breaking, Sara by Fleetwood Mac, Chris D buying you guys a Metrocard...

Good times.

Tam said...

You guys were so lucky. Hope you enjoyed your subway ride. :-)

Virginia Rose Kane said...

What fun! You've got yourself some amazing friends. Hey, I grew up on LI ~ Whoohoo Westbury! Go, Dragons. Oh, and my dad and several siblings are Fordham grads. So, yay hoodie guy! HUGS.

that's J-O-S-H said...

OMGAWDZ! You're a sneakster deluxe meal, what wiff rando pix of mis nalgas! I feel abused! No picturez of mah rump until we're madly in love and married!

Polt said...

::scratching head:: Um, Sassy josh, I'm not really sure what the hell you're saying, but I think there might be a marriage proposal in there somewhere, and if so, I totally accept! For serialzcoptez!

HUGS...

john said...

Awesome post! Polt your memory is like a steel trap!I'm never getting a bit tipsy in front of you!

Great pics and commentary too. I like that first photo of you. Oh, and is Dave S. smoking in the first shot?

hoteltuesday said...

Btw, "Sara" is over 8 minutes. The version that appears on the Tusk record is full-length, but the CD version was cut down to save time. When Stevie found out, she was very upset (she wasn't told this would happen). It's similar to how they cut "Silver Springs" from Rumours and didn't tell her. So mean!