Thursday, October 01, 2009

Dangerous times, you make a call and give me a sign...

So, Monday while cleaning out the apartment, it was a dangerous day for mom. When cleaning out the fridge, she swung her head up before it was fully out of the fridge and smacked it into the bottom of the freezer. I was in another room and heard her grunt loudly or something, and I yelled to her is she was okay. I didn’t get an answer so I went into the kitchen, and she was leaning over the sink, bracing herself on her hands, and she said, “I might have a concussion, I hit my head inside the fridge.” I stood there with her until I was sure she wasn’t gonna pass out. When she started laughing at herself, I knew she was okay.

Then later, Corey and I each took a last load of stuff downstairs to the truck. She said she’d be right down, she just had a few things to carry down. He and I got down there, loaded our items in the truck, and then stood there and talked for what seemed a long time. I kinda grumbled, “What CAN she be doing?” And I went back up on the porch and opened the front door. I didn’t see her, but I heard her say, “Chris? I fell down the stairs.”

I ran up the first flight two at a time, asking if she was ok. She was laying a the bottom of the second flight of stairs, well sitting really, resting on her hip and hand. There were a few items around her, including a large green pillow we were gonna sell at the yard sale. She said she though she was okay, but she was kicking the pillow down the stairs while carrying the other stuff and didn’t realize it was right at the bottom in front of the last step. So she hit it, lost her balance, fell against a cabinet in the hallway and landed on her left knee…which was already a bit sore.

I helped her reposition herself onto her other knee and then helped her up. Miraculously, only her knee was a bit sore and she had a bruise inside one elbow, that was it. No other bumps or bruises or cuts or breaks. She’s pretty resilient for a lady in her later 60’s. And I knew she was okay when she started laughing again, cause I had been fussing her about kicking empty boxes, or other things down the stairs in front of her, which she had been doing for several days. She said, “Well, moral of the story is, don’t try to walk on pillows.” I insisted the moral was to not kick stuff down the stairs ahead of you, but whatever.

Luckily for her, she never has to go into that apartment again, and luckily for me, I don’t have to trudge up two flights of stairs to get home anymore.


POLT Listening to "Countdown With Keith Olbermann"

Um, no one's talking to you dear. Just stand there and wait for your clothes to come back in style. - Charlene's coat, Dinosaurs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom is amazing!

Glad she is ok.

hoteltuesday said...

Geez... first she jokes about cutting her wrist, now she jokes about having a concussion?!?! Glad to see she has a (morbid) sense of humor.