Sunday, October 25, 2009

Polt and Dave S.'s Excellent Adventure, Part 3...

Okay, so after returning from the Puntabumeeting, probably about 1 am, Dave S. and I crawled in to bed (yes, together, but not like that!), talked for a bit, and then went to sleep. A few times in the night, I heard Dave S. get up and go to the bathroom and puke. My first thought was "someone partied a lil' too hard", but then I remembered he didn't have THAT much to drink. And then I thought "man, what if he's catching the flu? That's gonna ruin his entire weekend!" I found out in the morning, he had a migraine. That sucks, I get those.

So, I'm not sure exactly what time I got up, maybe 10ish, and I showered and dressed. I needed something to eat to take my diabetic meds with, so I asked Dave S. if he wanted anything. He said Excedrin migraine. So, I went out and down the street to a pharmacy. I got the excedrin, I got a pint of milk, I got a box of donuts and I got some postcards.

On the way back to the hotel was the worst the weather was the entire weekend. All weekend, it was overcast and cool. When the wind blew, though, it was downright cold. And it drizzled sometimes, but never really a strong rain. Except for Sunday morning when I walked back from the pharmacy.

I got back and hung out in the room, piddled around online, just waiting for 1:00 to arrive. It was at that time the FDot was coming back into town to spend Sunday with us. As it grew closer to 1, I went to the lobby, cause I didn't want to bother Dave S. while he was suffering with the migraine.

In the lobby, I texted Craiggers, to see if he wanted to come in, maybe for supper. He was already busy with family stuff, but asked about lunch the next day. Unfortunately, we were leaving at 1050 on the morning train. So I was sad we couldn't get together again, but I totally understood. I texted Jere to see if he wanted to come along, as he lives on the island. He did. So, about 1:30, Jere, FDOT and I began our journey.

The first place we went was Midtown Comics, a two story comic book story. Yeah, I was in heaven. However, I restrained myself, only bought three graphic novels, and did not spend hours there. WE returned to the hotel (it was only like one block over and two blocks down), where I got to see Dave S. sitting up in bed, but still not looking well.

After that, FDot, Jere and I walked down 8th Avenue to the subway and we rode it down to the West Village (I think it was). I wanted to see the Stonewall Inn on Christopher Street. That's where the whole gay rights movement started 40 years ago, I wanted to see that part of my heritage. So we got off and walk a bit to get there, but get there we did. I got a photo as well as one of the statues erected across the street from it.

We then walked over to Washington Square, which I've seen in a lot of movies. Being hungry, we thought of getting something to eat, so we started walking east thinking we'd find something. After a bit, we walked north, still not finding anything. Then we thought we headed back west. If that sounds like we were a bit lost...well maybe we were. But what the hell? I got to see parts of NYC that I've never seen before (which really, for me, would pretty much ANY part of NYC), and I had a blast walking around with them.

We stumbled upon a pizzeria, and went in for a slice. And of course, the slices were huge! And greasy. Just as I'd expect NYC pizza to be. They were asking what I wanted to see, so I mentioned Empire State Building and Central Park. After eating, they decided we should go up Broadway, which we did.

On the way, I got a call from Dave S. He had taken the excedrin, rested some more, then felt better so he showered, dressed, went to one store and bought his souvenirs. He said he was near Times Square, so we told him we'd meet him there, soon.

Upon reaching Times Square, we didn't see Dave S. right away, but did see President Obama...and Elmo and Winnie the Pooh and at least one Statue Of Liberty. Or at least people dressed up as reasonalbe facsimilies thereof. Eventually we did find Dave S.

While we stood and talked, this guy walked up to us. He held a microphone, said he was Lowie from Lowie vs America. Apparently, it's an Australian radio show where this guy travels the US and does skits, and interviews people and whatever. Well he asked if he could ask us some questions. He asked about the balloon boy hoax thing. And after asking us those questions, he said we did so well, could he ask us some questions about college, and were like sure. So he asked us if there was something we did in college our parents don't know about, and what should Australians know about American colleges, and stuff like that. But one question I remember is he asked us, "What do you think of when I say college?" And my answer was "Drunk frat boys." And he said, "Or drunk frat girls?" And I was like "Okay, yeah, them too." And he said, "Whatever floats your boat, I guess." So I figure I outted myself all over Australian radio.

Following our brush with fame, Jere led us up to Rockefeller Center, where we saw the ice skaters, and I got photos of Olbermann's studio through the windows, and then we walked onto and up 5th Avenue towards Central Park. The wind picked up and we all got cold as we approached the park, but once we got into it and the sun went down (yes we were walking in Central Park after DARK! And the lights weren't working. But luckily we didn't cry and get dragged to hell or anything) the wind died down and it actually warmed up a bit.

As we left Central Park, we lost Jere. Not IN the park, but he was off to his dorm to continue the studying he put on hold to hang with us all afternoon. We had started our day at 1:30, and when Jere left it was almost 7:00, so that meant in the afternoon, we spent about 5 hours (not counting the resting time while we ate) walking from 14th street up to about the equivalent of 70th street in Central Park! And believe me, my ankles, calves, knees, thighs, hips and lower back felt the entirety of the walk!

FDot, Dave S., and I then walked many blocks down 8th Avenue looking for a restaurant. Near the hotel, we took a side street and eventually found this little Italian place whose name I don't remember, unfortunately. It was in a basement of a row house, so the eating area was long but narrow. There weren't a huge amount of tables, but we were comfortably seated in a corner. The lady who greeted us was totally awesome! She checked back on us, was friendly, and even wished us a good night as we left. Our waiter was cute. The food was outstanding! I got homemade cheese tortelini with bolognese. Dave S. got a pretty expanisive seafood pasta meal. I forget what FDot had. But it was incredibly good! The best part was, FDot picked up the tab, thoughtful guy that he is. I tell ya, if I lived in the city, I'd definitely eat there again!

So following the meal, we walked over to Times Square, cause I really wanted to see it all lit up at night. And we hung out there for a short while, taking photos, and enjoying the NYC nightlife. Then we all three went back to the hotel room, laid on the bed together, and talked. Honestly, that's it. Very chaste. We relived the weekend and gossiped and all that normal stuff that three queens do when they get together. About midnight, I think, we kicked FDot out, and then went to bed.

Monday morning, Dave S. and I got up, showered, got packed up and ready to go. But it was still early. So we went to Dunkin Donuts, got something for breakfast to bring back to the room. When it was time, we went to reception, checked out and started down 8th Avenue, lugging that luggage again.

We got down into Penn Station, probably a half hour before the train. It was crowded, but not insane like when we arrived there. We just wanted to stand somewhere, so I found this large column we could put our baggage down next to and wait.

It wasn't much more than 10 minutes or so when an employee came up the escalator on the other side of the column, opened the little gates, stood there and said, not particularly loudly, "Anyone waiting for train 43?" Well, it was OUR train! And it hadn't even been announced yet! So we got on the train before the crowds, and got really nice seats. And this train even had a snack car on it we got to take advantage of!

So the train trip home was easy and no problems. The drive from Harrisburg to Waynesboro was as well. We got home and hung out here until we were hungry and then i took him to Cafe Del Sol for another delicious meal. We returned home here, and watched the cute movie Trick (and it boggles my mind to think that movie is ten years old already!), before going to bed.

Tuesday morning, I got up at 7:30, cause Dave S. said he wanted to leave around 8am. but when I got downstairs, he was already packed and ready to leave, so after a hug and goodbye, he did. And thusly, did the amazing NYC trip end.

I've got quotes and photos, they'll be coming up soon.

POLT Listening to the Falcons - Cowboys football game

I got 99 problems and a bitch ain't one. - Jay-Z

2 comments:

Tam said...

Awww. That stinks that Dave got a migraine. NYC is a bitch on the feet, walk walk walk. We spent lots of time on the subway too but you don't see much so then I started figuring out the regular bus system and it was great. Sounds like you got a good overview of the city in only a couple of days. It was super you had FDot and Jere to show you around on Sunday.

Glad you had fun.

Michelle M. said...

Oh noes! Poor Dave! Sounds like you crammed a lot into one day.How cool that you got to spend more time with Jere and the generous Fdot : ).