Saturday, October 24, 2009

Polt and Dave S.'s Excellent Adventure, Part two...

OkAy, so I left you hanging with Dave S. and myself just having reached NYC. And before we continue, there's something I need to tell you from the first night. Dave S. and I were finished eating at the Mexican restaurant and at the cashier waiting to pay. We were talking and it went kinda like this:

Dave S.: ::mumble, mumble, mumble::
Polt: (looking shocked) What did you say?
Dave S.: Nothing why?
Polt: What DID you say?
Dave S.: I don't what did I say?
Polt: I don't know, but I thought you said, 'I like dick sex.'

And honestly, that's what I thought he said. And then we both cracked up laughing. And for the rest of the trip, anytime we didn't hear what someone said, we'd look at each other and just mumble "I like dick sex?" And crack up again. HiLARious!

So anyway, back to NYC...we exited the train, made our way upstairs into the barely controlled chaos what WAS Penn Station at 1:00 in the afternoon on a Saturday. We fought our way through the crowds the relative safety of an area next to a large column.

Dave S. brought out his iPhone and started fiddling with it. Little did he know he had an iPolt with him. I have a very keen sense of direction. I told him I can get us to the hotel, I just need to get my bearings. And he wasn't getting any service on the phone anyways. So i saw an exit and directed us towards it. It brought us up to 8th Avenue, which is just exactly where we wanted to be. My Polt-sence kicked in and I knew instinctively which was to walk, as all we needed to do was go north until we found the hotel.

I'll say this for NYC: it's streets are fuckinc CROWDED! It's a true pain in the ass to attempt to navigate them sometimes. I felt like a salmon attempting to swim upstream. But with someone throwing other fish downstream I had to dodge. And while I was carrying a large packed full over the shoulder bag and a backpack. No way to manuver or be graceful when you're loaded down with luggage and fighting the crowd.

Eventually after 11 blocks (although it seemed a damn sight longer!), we arrived at the Milford Plaza. Everytime I heard the name, I thought of this commerical from the late 70's early 80's.





$43 a night? Pfft! We paid $125 a night for each of us, but still, that's not a bad deal considering we were but a block west of Times Square.


Anyways, it was too early to check in, so we checked out bags and headed out to experience Nueva Nueva. Actually, we were in search of food as both of us were particularly hungry. We didn't feel adventurous. We didn't want something fancy, or expensive, or exotic because we didn't know if we were going be eating after the Karaoke Puntabulous Meeting. So, while around Times Square, we ate at....wait for it....McDonalds. Seriously. We're in Manhatten, with any of kind food available, and numreous restuarants on every block, and we settled for McDonalds. I agreed with our descision, don't get me wrong, even if I disappointed myself a little bit.


At McDonalds, I called Mama Polt to let her know we were there safely (she worries). And I got a call from *sigh* Corey, who didn't apparently know I was IN New York, although I'm sure I told him at some point.


Following the meal, we walked through Times Square. Dave S. saw the Naked Cowboy and damn near orgasmed on the spot. (Maybe not, but I'm certain I heard him 'squee' a lil bit). He wanted a photo with the Naked Cowboy and was hyped about getting it.

Now, kids, I have done many MANY things in my life that are not fit for some audiences (see nearly ANY trip to Toronto), but for some reason, having to get a photo of Dave S. with the Naked Cowboy...bothered me. I got all shy about it, and probably was blushing, and didn't wanna do it, but then who else would have done it. And I did do it, got two photos actually. And I don't understand WHY I was uncomfortable and awkward about it (it's not like it's the first guy I took a photo of in a speedo), but man I was. I was just ALL flustered.

But the photos were taken, and Dave S. looked at them on his camera, all was right in his world. In fact, he said, " I can go home now, my wish in fulfilled" or something like that. Yeah, frankly, I don't get it either, cause the Naked Cowboy does absolutely nothing for me (well except make me all flustered apparently), but whatever.

So after this, we made our way to Dunkin Donuts for coffee (for him) and hot chocolate (for me) and then back to the hotel. We waited for FDot to show up, which he did. And then three of us hung out in the hotel room waiting for the time to leave and walk to the karaoke place for the Puntabumeetup. We walked to 40-something street and walked down it from 8th avenue to between 2nd and 1st. And then, you can just pick up the tale from the beginning of the Puntabumeeting.

Okay, enough for this pre-Puntabumeeting post. The next one will be what happened Sunday.

POLT Listening to "Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends"

I believe that she is telling the truth...with a half an hour and a dull blade, I could be certain. - Lady Shiva, Birds Of Prey #63

4 comments:

Tam said...

Oooh, we stayed at the Milford Plaza two years ago. EXCELLENT location for tourists. Didn't the Price is Right always give away trips to NY with that hotel? Some game show. This last time we stayed in an apartment (cheaper to cook for a week than eat out). We found a little Turkish restaurant not far from the hotel but away from Times Square which was yummy.

I never saw naked cowboy, Hmmm. Maybe it was too cold when I was there. Naked and wearing mittens are non-compatible I think. Can't wait to hear about Sunday.

hoteltuesday said...

YAY! McDonald's! Wise choice.
And I like the crowded streets of NYC (feat. rubbing up against cute strangers).

Michelle M. said...

Now I know what your super power is - a super sense of direction! It's so cute that you were shy about taking that pic.

EG said...

Oh jeez! I remember growing up with that commercial in the 80s. Gave me shivers!