Monday, October 12, 2009

I don’t know if I made the statement on here, but I recall a few times saying, back in July before I had a contract on a house, “I know what’s gonna happen: I’m gonna buy a house and then right afterwards, the car’s gonna fall apart or the water heater’s gonna explode. Just my luck.”
And yep, it happened.

Well, Miss Cleo’s fine, but the water heater, well, it didn’t so much explode as just stop working. Saturday morning (typical…the beginning of a weekend) my shower for work was, at best, luke warm…turning quickly to not warm at all. From work, I called Mom and she went down to look at it. She said the breaker was flipped, and when she put it back, it flipped right over again.

*SIGH*

Luckily, as part of the contract, my realtor inserted a clause where the previous owner would take out a warranty. And thank God she put that in there, cause I called the warranty place, and once I got all through the automated menus and without speaking to a live person once, I got the name of the local company and their number and was told it would be a $60 charge for them to come look at it, but anything that needed done on it would be covered.

So even now, Mom’s down at my house (God bless her), with the guy who’s finished up work on the replacement windows and waiting for the electric and plumbing company to get there to look at it.

In the meantime, yesterday, I didn’t shower at all. Course, all I did all day was lay around and watch football anyway, so it’s not like I needed a shower. But I didn’t shave either. Did brush my teeth, have to do that. But today, since I was working, I had to get up, shave, brush my teeth and then head over to mom’s for a shower. I remembered to take my deodorant and brush along, although mom had no hair gel and I couldn’t get the hair dryer to work (oh shut up, I was a smidge stressed, okay?), so my hair is…well, it’s there. And I’m at work, which on a Monday is never a good thing.

I’m just hoping the guy can either get it fixed or replaced sometime today. I don’t wanna hafta take another shower away from home.

UPDATE: Mom called me about 10:30 and said the water heater was being replaced even as we spoke. It's all covered by the home warranty, except for the $60 fee for them to come and look at it. And ya know, I'm not gonna complain about that!

POLT

4 comments:

Tam said...

Well shit. Mine sprung a leak once, I came home to 6 inches of water in my basement. Grrrr. Hope it's an easy cheap fix.

goblinbox said...

When I was a home owner, I found that I really didn't enjoy it when things broke.

One time the water went from hot and on to OFF while I was in the shower. It was the dead of winter. I was both cold and pissed off.

Turned out the well pump had quit pumping. HOW SUX0R IS THAT!

Luckily I was married at the time, and the husband figured it out. Because I sure couldn't have. Nor could I have afforded to pay someone to figure it out.

Which is why I'm super glad you had that $60 warranty thingie! Whew!

Anonymous said...

Our gas hot water heater just stopped working. It wouldn't keep the pilot lit so I called the landlord.

The water heater was 9 years old and due for replacement anyhow. But it sucked being without hot water for a 36 hour period.

Anonymous said...

That's great news. We always get the warranty as well, either as a buyer or seller. It protects you both ways. Plus, the new water heater is probably more efficient than the old one.