Friday, October 16, 2009

Creeping up the backstairs, slinking into dark stalls...

You may, or may not, have noticed the book I am currently reading listed over there on the left. In case you haven't, I won't waste your time going to look, I'll just tell you, it's "Backstairs At The White House". Its about a black woman and her daughter who both worked at the White House over a stretch of some 50 years. And during the move, I found the book I had read 30 years ago, and started re-reading it.



Back in the late 70's, NBC made a miniseries of the book. Even though I only about ten, I vividly remember watching it. I loved it, loved it so much I went out and bought the book and read it all then, which as something of an achievement since the book wasn't written for prepubescents.

I was totally captivated by the whole thing. I don't recall if I had an interest in presidents first, or if I got that interest from watching the miniseries, but I do know that ever since then, the American presidency and the men who occupied the office has held an endless fascination for me. I'm pretty sure the topic I have the most books on is American Presidents. And I remember that after watching this miniseries, again at the age of around ten, I could recite the presidents, in order, from Taft (1908-1912) all the way to the current president. And in the ensuing 30 years, I've learned all the president in order, and of the 20th century presidents, I know their wives, their Vice Presidents, and sometimes, even their opponents. Also, I majored in and got my college degree in Political Science mainly because of my interest in the presidents. I also attribute my obsession with politics to my love of presidents.

And to think, all of that flowering from a tv miniseries 30 years ago. Kids are so impressionable.

POLT Listening to "Lips Like Sugar" by Echo And The Bunnymen

Bush: Hard as a rock, but dumber. - bumper sticker

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what will affect our young lives. That is why kids need to be cherished and protected.

john said...

Shapeless and slumped in bath chairs, furtive eyes peek out of holes!

I'm so excited you quoted this song, it is one of my favorites!

It is amazing how television shapes our interests. I'm impressed that you know all the presidents and their wives.

jimm said...

My interest in Presidents and history comes from growing up in the historic Mohawk Valley, where our ancestors made a stand during the Revolution. It is pretty cool what impresses you as a youngster. I don't ever want to lose that, no matter how old I am.

Michelle M. said...

Though Cloris Leachman is awesome, this post has a lot of words. When are you going to post some half naked guys?

tornwordo said...

You should try out for Jeopardy!