Friday, October 30, 2009

Tonight, is taking their first steps, letting go...

Earlier this week, President Obama signed into law a bill that added gays and lesbians to federal hate crimes legislation. I heard about this and was quite pleased. I mean, it's really the first piece of gay rights legislation he's had his signature on. In addition, he lifted the HIV immigration ban. And I'm very glad both were done. Nice to see he's doing something for the gay community that supported him overwhelmingly.

But my next thought was, why wasn't there more coverage of this? I don't recall hearing it on the news, I only read about it because I get updates from The Advocate Online. And I was not surprised, but a bit disappointed nonetheless.

And then I thought, wait, why wasn't there more coverage of this? I mean, I don't recall hearing Rush Butterbaugh, or Screening Harpy Ingraham, or Glenny Beck foaming about the mouth over these things. Maybe I missed it, cause I don't listen to them slavishly, thank God, but you'd think they'd be a little more concerned about this, considering gays and those pesky rights they want are actually leading to the apocolypse.

Maybe they're all just too wound up in knots over someone who can't afford healthcare maybe getting some help for it from the government. I mean, one must have one's priorities, ya know?

At any rate, these are great first steps. Now, we just need to work on Dont Ask Dont Tell and DOMA and gay marriage rights nationwide.

POLT Listening to "Time Is Running Out" by Muse

In spite of the cost of living, it's still popular. - Kathleen Norris

5 comments:

Mark said...

Don't worry the idiots at Fox News covered it. Asking why it was necessary. They cited the fact that the killers of Matthew Shepard were sentenced to life or death to say hate laws weren't needed. It's funny, Federal Hate Crime laws have been on the books for at least 15 years, but only when gays are included does the right wing go crazy.

Anonymous said...

I agree. DADT will be next though. They need every body they can keep for service in Afghanistan.

That's the other thing, Afghanistan. Recall, the Russians got their asses handed to themselves by the Afghani Mujahadeen. The same Mujahadeen that our CIA trained and equipped.

And now those same Mujaheddin are using the training, tactics and weaponry against U.S. troops.

History repeats itself.

As to DOMA, that will be the last piece. It's still going to take a USSC judgment to give the entire nation marriage equality though.

that's J-O-S-H said...

I swear I wanted to read this entry all the way through...but I saw the word "healthcare" @ a glance and I didn't want to depress mah uninsured self TOO much.

Anonymous said...

Right on Obama, keep it coming slowly but surely

dave491 said...

It was good to hear this too, but like you, I didn't hear it on any national news other than NPR, though I heard it first on a facebook posting.

Now, let's see what happens when it actually gets used.