Monday, October 12, 2009

When I was twelve, in summer camp (Part 23)...

12 For The 12th
This whole thing is the brainchild of Chad Darnell.

Because of preparing for the move last month, I didn't remember to do this then, so bear with me this month when I go a bit over the normal limit.


7:09AM
Putting on my shoes for a day at work.


8:05AM
Me at work, on the Columbus Day holiday, which also happens to be a Monday, which is usually my day off. So I'm looking so happy and excited cause there are two reasons why I should NOT be at work, and yet....there I am. You might also notice my hair looking the way it does since I couldn't find gel OR a working hair dryer at mom's today. (my water heater was out...see a post below for more details)


11:43AM
This is my deak, cluttered with papers...yes, this WAS my day.


4:49PM
When I got home from work, Mom was still there. She had gotten there in the morning for the guy who was coming to finish the replacement windows, and then she stayed while the guys came to look at and then replace the hot water heater. And so, she decided to clean! (she's a saint) The people the lived here before me apparently painted the wall next to the stairs without covering the stairs, and there were white splotches of paint all up and down them. So, while she waited for everyone to get done working, she got hot water and a scraper and took the paint off the stairs. And after everyone was gone, she STILL stayed and cleaned. This is a photo of her working on the last step.


4:53PM
Since I haven't put any photos up of the house since I moved in, I'm gonna do that here and now (and go over the 12 photo limit...but this is a special occasion, and I promise I won't do it again). This is the front entry, with the built-in, fully filled bookshelves.


4:53PM
The living room, with the messy coffee table, the new ceiling fan, and the curtains chosen by mom.


4:54PM
The Dining Room from the kitchen. The front entry, the living room and the stairs can be seen. Also, the dining room table is one the dad's mom's bought and when she passed he kept it at his house, and now, I've got it. It's VERY old, but still sturdy.


4:54PM
The Kitchen, the clothesbasket with dirty clothes was on its way to the basement. My year old appliances can be seen, including the dishwasher, which I've never had before and which is immensely freakin' cool!


4:55PM
At the back of the house on the second floor, I have a spare bedroom. It ain't much, but it's a place for visitors to stay. The doorway seen leads out onto a porch.


4:55PM
The stairs, with Mama Polt descending.


4:55PM
The bathroom is kinda dodgey, very narrow. I don't particularly like it, and it's probably gonna be one of the first things I try to change, but since it's just me living here now, I can deal with it for a while.


4:55pm
This is the middle bedroom, but I'm using it as a library. I'm going to house my comic books I'm currently collecting there, as well as all my graphic novels and several shelves of regular books as well. Once I buy another desktop, I'll put that at the computer desk that I already have in there. Right now, it's just a bit overwhelming, all those boxes packed FULL with books.


4:55PM
The master bedroom. Got my king sized bed, a TV, the stand up mirror showing there. What you can't see is the walk in closet in one wall and the other closet in the other. Those wooden shelves were left in the room by the previous owners.


4:56PM
This is the attic, or rather the middle part of it. The people that lived here before me made it into a bedroom. It's carpeted, paneled, got an electric floor heater and everything. I, however, and just going to use it for storage, which you can see is packed full of comic book boxes!


6:53PM
The basement extends the entire length and width of the building. That's my washer and dryer in the back. Lots and lots of open space.


6:53PM
And finally, this is my brand new water heater. The old one was 13 years old. It's great to have a brand new one, that I only had to pay $60 for a service call to get.

POLT Listening to the Jets-Dolphins football game

Arbolist...look up the word. I don't know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it's an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees. - George W. Bush

11 comments:

Virginia Rose Kane said...

Chris. The place looks amazing. It looks like a home. And nice one to boot. Congratulations to you.

I admire you for your efforts and your perseverance in wading through crap that you dislike and think you're not good at.

I look forward to coming there and hanging out for a while after the dust settles.

V

that's J-O-S-H said...

So when are you hosting a Puntabulous housewarming party?!

Anonymous said...

Great pics of the place. Sure is roomier than the apt. Make sure you put an insulated wrap on your water heater. They're cheap and it'll save you some money in the long run.

Sunny Archibald said...

Thanks for the tour of your house. Your mom must be a saint to come clean for you. Lucky guy.

TJ said...

Everyone is permitted to bend the rules at least once. So thanks for sharing your day. I love to see house's with lots of books and you have plenty of them. i think it says a lot about a person. Anyway, I enjoyed the photos, thanks again for sharing and take care...

Michelle M. said...

"It's VERY old, but still sturdy". That's what she said. Groan (I couldn't resist).

It looks like you're settling nicely into your new home. And yes, Mama Polt IS a saint.

And I can't believe you don't have a picture of me on your desk.

Tam said...

Wow, a new water heater for $60. That's great. I love the color of your bedroom. Your Mom is so great. It's nice to see the house looking like a home now and not an empty shell. Enjoy.

hoteltuesday said...

Looks nice! Why does my house suck? lol

Anonymous said...

Wow, nice place! It's about time we saw pix of the Magic Room aka Master Bed.

That said, want this water heater to last longer? I believe this is an electric water heater. If that's the case there is a sacrificial anode in the tank that can be replaced every couple years. They're cheap and it'll extend the life of the water heater out to 30 or more years.

stratcat45 said...

Our hot water heater was the first thing to go too, right after we moved in - thank God for those home warranty policies! We also have a very small bathroom - the size of a closet almost!

Pete Cullen said...

Sorry you had to work :( But the place looks really nice and you sure have a lot of stuff to try and fit in there!