Friday, January 20, 2006

Baby, there ain't no mountain high enough...

Tonight, our local theater premiered Brokeback Mountain, and don't you just KNOW i had to be there for the first showing. Went with my friend, Kelly. In the theater, we noticed a couple we used to work with: Zach and Tara, so we sat with them.

As a whole, concerning the movie, I have to say I was underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it. And Heath Ledger's performance is astounding. Certainly Oscar worthy and deserving of all the award nominations it's getting. The character he plays doesn't talk a lot, but he says volumes with his eyes, posture, facial expressions and the words he does use. Jake Gyllenhall (or however you say it) gives a great performance as well. Again, using just facial expressions, he conveys love, anger, wanting, loneliness, fear, worry, I mean, the whole gambit.

But on the whole, the movie just didn't.....grab me. It didn't take hold of me like I thought it would. I couldn't totally identify with the characters, I couldn't put myself in thier shoes, which is what i love doing with dramas. But that could have been my fault and not the movie's. And it did seem plodding, and slow.

I think the problem was, there was so much hype, so much critical acclaim and raves about it online and on theblogs Iread, that was expecting something that would jsut JUMP right off the screen and captivate me from beginning to end. And this was not really that kind of movie, it's meant to be, I think, slow, thoughtful, contemplative. Perhaps that's what the problem was, I expected too much.

I think I should probably see the movie again, that might allow me to view it keeping the hype out of mind, and jsut enjoy it for what it is. Again, dont' get me wrong, I did like it, and if you've got ANY inkling to see it, GO! Go see it. Just go without any preconceived notions. Just go and enjoy it.

That's what I'm gonna do the next time.

POLT = listening to "The Private Psychadelic Reel" by The Chemical Brothers

I refuse to recognize the terms hetero-, bi-, and homosexual. Everybody has excatly the same sexual needs. People are just sexual. The prefic is immaterial. - Morrissey

No comments: