Friday, January 06, 2006

Full of tears at this farewell...

When i was growing up we had an Acme Grocery store here in town. About 20 or so years ago, it went out of business, but then a Rea&Derrick drug store took it's place in the same building. My mother had a second job there for a bit while I was in high school. After a few years, it became a People's Drug Store. After mom left, there was a break of a few years before I got a job there during college. I worked there for about three and a half years, working my way up from clerk to shift supervisor. While I was working there, it became a CVS drug store.

I got a better job, but hung on at CVS for a few months until they could get another shift supervisor. There was back by the big delivery doors, a receiving office. Originally, a manager had worked in there, but ever since before I started there, it was just used for storage.

The last night that I worked there, I took a big marker and went back to the old receiving office. Above the door, I wrote a goodbye message of sorts. This was in late 1993. When I was over at the store in later 2003, a pharmacist who was still there told me he was back in the receving office, and saw my message. He took me back and showed me and we had a good laugh.

Late last year, CVS starting building and all new building in town. The new manager told me they were going to start their move Jan. 16, and open the new store on Feb 5 or so. So earlier this week, I went over with my camera, and she took me back to the old receiving office, and the message was still there. So I got a photo.


My legacy. BUt with CVS not occupying the building anymore, they'll be no one to see it. So now it's here on my blog, or all eternity (give or take a year or two).

POLT = listening to "Be Yourself" by Caleda

My sexual preference is not you. - from a t-shirt seen at Gay Pride

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i was 11. thought you'd want to know

Polt said...

you were 11 what? Like when you're maturation stopped, and that's why you'd send a comment like this, like the 49ers, and believe a chick you called a slut was interested in you? Yeah, that's probably it.

Anonymous said...

ouch, lethal. i stopped maturing at 10, anyway