Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Lost Weekend, Part 1...

NOTE: Subsequent Parts of The Lost Weekend will be posted below this one, as they're completed. Keep checking back for updates!

Okay enough with the teasings, its time to get down to the 'nitty-gritty' about this weekend.

As you all should know, I spent the weekend in Columbus Ohio having an almost indescibably awesome time with Dave S., my In&Auf co-host. Before I proceed any further, let me say a few things at the outset. Dave S. is an extremely gracious and courteous host. He is fun, funny, intelligent, engaging, a witty conversationist, just everything you would imagine he could be. He asked me at lunch yesterday what my favorite thing was that we did, and my honest answer was the three to four hours we spent on his front porch just talking. Talking, over many different subjects. He is truly a fascinating and very interesting individual. Also, his kids are polite, well behaved and not at all the stereotypical angst-filled, rebellious, loud mouthed teens. His home is lovely, built in the 20's with large room, ceilings, and windows all painted in various bold colors (I have photos later on). And Columbus as a whole is a beautiful lively city. It's now become, next to Toronto, my favorite place in the whole world.

But enough of all that...on with the dirt, eh?

Several weeks ago, Dave S. emailed me that he was shopping in this store and when he paid for the shirts, the owner asked him if he wanted to be in a fashion show the store was sponsoring, saying that Dave S. had the prefect body for it (no kidding!). Dave S. was unsure, and that's what he was emailing me about. Well, naturally, I went nuts over the idea, telling him he had to do it, that he'd have a blast, that it would be such fun and so on and so on. He wasn't sure.

Well, as time went on, he found out that the show would be taking place in a local gay club. And that part of the show would be modeling underwear. (no kidding!) Dave S. was even more hesitant now, but I kept telling him what fun he'd have.

I believe, although I may be wrong, that even said in one of his emails that he wished I could be there at the show with him to offer support and help him through all his nervousness. Well, upon reading this, I contemplated it for about three whole seconds before coming to the conclusion it was a brilliant idea! I mean, I've not been on a vacation since October of 2006, I've never been to Columbus (or Ohio, really), I've never met Dave S. in person, but I'd likely never have a chance again to see him in his underwear, so I was like HELL YEAH!

Checking Mapquest, I discovered it was but a 6 hour drive from my home, and I had time to use at work. So I checked with Dave S. on the date and then I asked him if he really wanted me to be there with him during the show, and that I could take an extended weekend. He was all for the idea (at least to me, I'm certain he had misgivings that he didn't share. Me? Misgivings about seeing Dave S. in his underwear? No, not so much), and the die, as they say, was cast.

So, this past Friday, driving Miss Cleo, with my iPod providing the tunes, and my GPS Madge (she's a Magellon, but I call her Madge), I made my way to the capitol of the great state of Ohio, Columbus!

END OF Part 1 (bear with me, this is a lot to write, I'm gonna do this in stages, okay?)

POLT Listening to "Son Of A Gun" by Nirvana

It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. - Delores Ibarruri

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suspected that Dave S. was taking the stage in some way, but thought; because of his music interest; that it was singing or playing an instrument. Modeling never crossed my mind, but it makes total sense.

Sounds like you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time, super!

Onanite