Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Lost Weekend, Part 4...

Saturday morning, having set the alarm on my phone for 8:00, I got up at 10:00 because that's the way I roll. Had some toast and then, after everyone showered (seperately) Dave S., his son, and I went to the gorcery store. He told me I didn't have to go along, but I told him I was on vacation, away from home and work and no worries, and going to the grocery store would be fine with me, especially when i didn't have to pay. All I got was a 2 liter of Pepsi, cause they're a Coke household. (Oh, and Dave S. drink Tab! TAB! I didn't know they still MADE Tab!)

Columbus is the home of Ohio State University, and there was a game Saturday, but luckily NOT a home game, as traffic would have been unbelieveable! Nonetheless there were a helluva lot of people wearing red, anything red that you can imagine they had on. As the OSU Buckeyes' colors are red (and their mascot is Brutus...a human-like buckeye one supposes), it wasn't surprising, albeit a bit overwhelming. I however, just contented myself to ogle and check the three hot black guys running the registers.

Following this, a return trip home to unload the groceries and eat a meal of burritos, Dave S. and I headed down to a part of town called The Short North. It's where the club was located, as well as Torso. We had to return some things to Torso. The Short North is an area of urban revitalization along High street, one of Columbus's main streets. Apparently, 'the gays' have come in and taken over and made the area over into a FAB-ulous, upscale type of place...as gays are known to do.

We dropped the stuff off at Torso, and then spent probably an hour or so just walking through the Short North, window shopping. I did buy jar of 'home-baked' treats for my mom's dog. We checked out an art gallery. He pointed out to me all the hot spots, and we walked past The Greystone Court, which I fell instantly in love with! And the weather, indeed for the whole weekend, was just beautiful! Mid-60's or so, cool breeze blowing, no clouds, sunny, a great day to walk around the Short North area.

We returned home and hung out for a few hours (I took a nap of over an hour, which is longer than i meant to) before we had to leave again. Two of Dave S.'s co-workers were retiring soon and their ex-boss was throwing them a retirement party. But only 8 people were invited,and of course they could bring spouces, significant others, what have you. Dave S. brought me, after clearing it first. I had fears of sitting in a corner by myself, being out of the loop on everything just because no one had seen me before except for Dave S. (and he only on the previous day!), but I could not have been more wrong.

Gary, the guy throwing the party was outgoing, gregarious, a bit drunk, and apparently he hates his digital camera. But he was welcoming, and friendly. One of the retirees, Ginny, one of Dave S. close co-worker Cornie (short for Cornelia), and a red-headed lady named Nancy were so very inclusive. They asked me where I was from, what I did, told me about themselves, they made me feel as if I was part of the group and as if they had known me forever. I met the others as well, and they were all nice too, but these four were the ones that really went out of their way to make me feel at home. And I just had so much fun. Talking with them, laughing at their jokes, making some of my own,and generally, just fitting in. It was a very fun party, with very fun people. And I was glad that I was a bit worried over nothing.

As we were driving home, we tried to decide what to do. We had options of going to another club, or going to a haunted house downtown, but as my 40 year old body ain't used to being up until after 1:00 AM dancing, of all things, I was still kinda tired, and suggested just going home to watch teh Torchwood DVD's I'd brought along. And that's what we did. We watched 4 episodes of it. And while I'm not sure if Dave S. was hooked from the very beginning, he certainly was hooked after we had finished watching all four. And Ianto is now his favorite (and the wallpaper on his laptop), although it's probably not cause Ianto is cute and all like it is for me.

It was after midnight again when we finally packed it in. I'm certain I went to bed smiling over all the fun I'd had so far.

More to come in Part 5....

POLT Listening to "Try Again" by Keane

"Listen, Billy-" "Bobby." "Like it matters." - Mr. Dittmeyre, The Brady Bunch Movie

1 comment:

Michelle M. said...

Sounds like a great weekend - can't wait to see the pix!