Thursday, October 23, 2008

Snaps her fingers, knows my name but calls me ginger...

Just recently, I bought me some Ginger Snaps. And not the factory made kinda like from Nabisco or what have you. I bought some locally made ginger snaps in a brown bag, not a cardboard box.

Man the memories flooded back. When I was but a little Polt, my grandfather ALWAYS had ginger snaps around the house, the locally made kind like these. And we'd go visit my grandparents every Sunday, ususally for a meal and then some TV watching with my aunts and uncles and cousins and stuff.

Anyway, I can remember Pap pouring me and him each a glass of milk (from a glass bottle he got at the local dairy. It came with the cream on top!!!), and then he'd get out the ginger snaps. And he taught me just how long enough to hold the cookie in the milk. Too short, and the cookie was too hard, too long and it got too soggy and broke off into the milk itself, to be fished out later. No, if you did held it there for the just right amount of time, it got soaked enough so that you could pop the whole cookie in your mouth at once and it wouldn't be too crunchy.

I can sit now, and eat them that way and see him sitting right across the table from me, doing it with me. And when he smiled, the milk/ginger snap mush was all over his teeth, like I'm sure it was over my teeth. Just like a kid.

POLT Listening to "Starlight" by Muse

Shut your mouth, how can you say, I go about things the wrong way? - The Smiths, "How Soon Is Now?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh that is a great memory. I have many of those types of memories with my grandmother. Makes me wanna cry.

Onanite

lime said...

mmmm, there just is no other way to eat gingersnaps. soooo yummy. you have inspired me. i may need to make a batch (just got the best recipe for them last year)

Bunny said...

What a sweet memory! I'll bet he's looking down, smiling at his lil Polty.