Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Lost Weekend, Part 5...

So, Sunday night, after getting more sleep than the night before and setting my alarm for 8:00, I once again got up at 10:00 because I'm on vacation and what better time to sleep in, right?

After a quick breakfast (remember please, that Dave S. has usually been up since like 5:00 or so, the freak) and a quick shower, Dave S. and I head off for the Columbus Museum Of Art. Dave S. said he loved the place, but hadn't been there in a while, and I love museums but have NEVER been there, so it would kinda be a new experience for us both. They had some work there from Peter Zimmerman, who I had never heard of before, but who's work I LOVED. Dave S. says he uses resin (an artist would know this, I wouldn't) but to me it looked like shiney multicolored swathes of plastic...but at any rate, there was one whole large room of the museum with his work ON THE FLOOR. And we could WALK OVER it. I got photos (to be posted later), and only afterwards did I see on the map that we were not allowed to TAKE photos in there. oops.

In another room, they had a whole horde of portraits all over the walls, and they were having a contest. They had 20-25 or more, items listed on a sheet, and you had to find them all, and they'd time you and the winner would get a gift certificate from the gift store, I think. At any rate, we could work in a team, and so Dave S. and I did, and we got them all in slightly over 5 minutes, which shattered the previous record of 10 minutes and something. It ended at 3:00 so we were to check back then to see if we won. WE did, and some team of three got them all in like 4:30 or so, which means they obviously cheated. But since we played, we got a cute button of the museum anyway.

We walked through the rest of the museum checking out all the painting, and comparing our interests. Dave S., as an artist, looks a lot and composition and way the work is done and materials used and stuff. It was facsinating for me to listen to him talk about them because I'm nothing near an artist, and I just look at a painting as to whether it appeals to me, rarely ever looking at the creation side of it. It was great to hear someone's take on the same painting from a different angle.

They had a children's section, with interactive stuff in it. The museum wasn't busy at all, and there were no kids there. There was a printing section where kids could make their own relief stamp, and Dave S. made one for me (I got a photo, to be posted soon).

After the museum, seeing as how we were feeling a bit peckish, we drove back to the Short North and ate at the Union Cafe. Great place. Great atmosphere (playing a football game on the plasma screen at the far end of the bar, playing Cyndi Lauper, Sonny & Cher and Grace Jones videos on the plasma screen near us), good burgers (huge, cooked to order and delicious) and unbelievably attractive waitstaff. I didn't see an ugly man, or a woman, at all in the wait staff. Very nice to look at...when I could peel my eyes off of Dave S., natch! And of course, we talked during and after the meal. I know I've said this before, but conversation between Dave S. and I just came incredibly easy. Really, it's like we've known each other for years.

Following the meal, as we were returning home, we stopped by Kelli's (from Project Runway) shop! It's right down the street from where Dave S. lives. Unfortunately, Kelli wasn't there. Well, I don't know that, I know another girl was behind the counter, and I prevented Dave S. from asking if Kelli was there, cause I'm fairly certain I'd have gotten all star struck and made a complete and total fool of myself in front of her. I had visions of me falling over one of her racks of clothes with her watching...no, not gonna let THAT happen! So we left and returned home.

we returned to the house. His daughter was over with two friends of hers, once, a tall, lean, cute...oh I'll stop there, cause the kid's only like 15 and I am NOT a pedophile...although were I his daughter or one of her friends I'd definitely make a go for him. But they were on the computer and playing Rock Band, so Dave S. and I went out front to his porch. There we sat for I think 4 hours, discussing the issues of the day...or whatever entered our heads and the conversation. And it didn't seem like it was anywhere near that long. We walked to the coffee shop on the corner, he got a coffee, I got a hot chocolate. And we returned to the porch and talked some more. A cute Asian guy went by walking his small dog that was wearing a lobster sweater-type thing to keep him warm. I wanted to get a photo, Dave S. asked if we could take one, and he said sure. Then we learned his name was AJ and he lived on the next street over and was possibly a new neighbor. I also noticed the finger his ring was on, and wondered if he played for my team. Columbus does, according to Dave S., have a large gay population, and the area he lives in is probably rife with them. But I never got to find out thing more because I DON'T live there, and didn't get to see AJ again.

When we went inside, we had some of the meal Dave S. had been making. He had thrown some into the crock pot in the morning, and that night, we had his meat (don't bother, I made all the jokes already while I was eating it), with some stuffing and mixed veggies. Then following a bit of leisure time, we headed out to see a movie: W.

The theater was downtown, we were running a smidge late, and Dave S. drove like a madman. Thankfully, the downtown area is deserted on a Sunday evening, so we encountered little traffic. We had outstanding balcony seats for the movie, which was okay. All the actors did exemplary jobs portraying the real life people, but as a whole, I think the thing would have been more interesting if they had just spliced together a bunch of clips of Bushie making stupid quotes and gestures and actions. I mean we already knew he was a buffoon in over his head, I don't need a movie to tell me he had daddy issues. Frankly, I don't care WHY he was a buffoon, the fact that he IS is bad enough.

After the movie, and a less turbulent ride home (we weren't in hurry), we watched another Torchwood episode, one of my favorites: Countrycide. And then, if was off to bed.

The last day there in Part 6.

POLT Listening to "On Your Own" by Blur

Man is certainly stark mad. He cannot even make a worm, and yet he will be making gods by the dozens! - Montaigne

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys had such a great time and everything went well on Friday. Can't wait to read the last episode.