Friday, February 22, 2008

I've got six broken soldiers in the trunk of my car...

One day earlier this week, I think yesterday, it had snowed overnight and went I went to work, the car had about an inch of snow on it, and underneath on the windshield, a light layer of ice. I know my de-icer was in the trunk, so I went to get it.

I popped the trunk and lifted the lid. You may recall I had issues with my trunk lid before. So I knew to hold it up. Which I did, cause it wasn't staying up at ALL, no matter how far up I pushed it and tried to lodge it. I think it was cause there was still snow on it, but who knows?

I saw the can of de-icer laying there, BUT, the cap to it was off a bit further back. And the cap is where the spray button is. Without it, all I have is a can of de-icer and no way to get the de-icer out. So i tried to reach back to get it, but doing that while holding the trunk lid up wasn't easy. And all I did was succeed in knocking it a bit further back, out of reach.

I looked around the trunk. My jumper cables (still in the box and wrapped in the original plastic) was there. My "Car Emergency Kit" was there (I have no idea what's in that anymore. I got it for Christmas about 5 years ago. I DID know what was in it, then, but once I dumped it in the trunk, well I totally forgot whats there). On the day after Christmas, I bought a new vacuum cleaner...that is still in my trunk, still in the box.

And then, I saw a green plastic hanger. I have no idea whatsoever why that's there. But it was just the size I needed to try to reach the cap. Which i tried to do. But I did in fact do was pull it to the side of the trunk, in a little gap or hole thingee off right up next to the seat. And totally completely out of reach.

Unless of course, I crawled INTO the trunk. But with the lid the way it is, I could just as easily have been trapped in my own trunk, with my car running. Not a good situation.

Instead, I just made a spectical for anyone watching: my upper half inside the trunk, the trunk lid down resting on my ass, my one leg up and extended out to try to get more reach to the the cap. Which i never did. I did, however, get a line of snow across my thighs and stomach where they rested against the car, and across my ass where the lid laid on it.

I might have come up with something better, but it was 7:15 in the morning, and I rarely get awake to the point of functuality until about 10:00 or so in the morning.

(the photo is my car's trunk last Christmas, packed full of gifts and food and stuff for the jounrney to my Uncles. Might give some perspective on the size)

POLT Liseting to "Flounders Mashups" on DC101 Online

Call me sweetheart again and I'll kick your ass so hard you'll be gagging on my boot until Christmas. - Black Canary, Wonder Woman #9

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See those things that look like shock absorbers? Those are what hold the trunk up and probably need to be replaced.

Sexy Duet said...

What we needed was someone watching to take a photo of the spectical so we could all laugh :)

Ms SD

Bunny said...

LOL picturing this!!

Those dumb pneumatic trunk holder-upper thingys (or van liftgate holder-upper thingys, in my case) don't always like cold weather, especially if they are more than a couple years old. I've had a van liftgate whop me in the head more than once (and now you know why I am a little messed up!)

Anonymous said...

My hubby had this same problem with his car. Also, so did my in-laws. You all three have the same make and model.

We were having stupid trunk problems one time when I was holding the baby and trying to get into the trunk. After the trunk hit me on the head twice, I almost put the baby in the trunk just so that I would have an extra hand. Of course I didn't but I was definitely saying - Stupid Cryslers.